Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words and the interest. I'm really happy with the ground texture...it's such a ridiculous haphazard process but sometimes it comes out like it was planned and executed so finely. Each layer of texture is largely dependent on which container I grab out of the bin.  ::)

I've got a bit more ballasting to do around the peninsula track (as long as operations are ceased), then I'd really like to throw together some wooden fences near the engine house just to add a little more grey to the color scheme. I also need to treat the crossings - they're just raw wood at the moment.

John

cuse

Question/offer...

I've got the following HO vehicles (below) and I'm trying to get more accurate in my era appropriateness. I'd like to be early '40's so I can put a couple of horse drawn wagons along with (I think) Model T type vehicles. I should just call it 1941 (I've plagiarized everything else from Frary and Hayden's first layout-I might as well steal the date too). But, after looking through the Jordan Highway Miniatures listings, I'm partial to some of the 1920's vehicles, like the 1925 Ford Panel Truck, the 1928 Ford Model A Pickup, the 1920 Ford Center Door Sedan, and the 1923 Ford Model T Stake Bed.

I really like the lumber truck - can anyone hazard a good guess as to it's model year?

Pt. 2...anyone want to trade a couple of finished, era-appropriate Jordan Highway Miniatures (Tom?) for the 4 shown here? They're marketed as "scenes from the 40's and 50's" -  so they might be great for someone with the right era. Win-win for someone I hope...Let me know if any of you are interested.

Thanks...John

bparrish

John....

If you are looking for vehicles that represent 1940-41 you are in luck.  Recall that the guvment shut off production from feb 42 to about May 45.  So almost all 45-46 and early47 all looked like 39-40-41 vehicles. 

Mini metals and a few other makers are making post war cars and. Trucks that can be back dated easily. 

The most notable change was fender color. Pre war were almost all black fender. Post war started matching body color. 

For truck colors in Chevrolet, pre war were: Brewster green, royal blue, a very few all black and even fewer red with black fenders.  Dodge was nearly the same as was ford.  All rather boring for our purposes.  But back dating is easy. 

One super detail fine point on chev trucks.  41 had the key lock IN the door handle. 46 and later the key lock was about 4 inches down from the handle. 

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Janbouli

Quote from: bparrish on June 14, 2015, 08:25:34 PM

One super detail fine point on chev trucks.  41 had the key lock IN the door handle. 46 and later the key lock was about 4 inches down from the handle. 

See ya
Bob

And of course the tire valve was on the bottom side of the tires on the pre 46 models  ;) ;) ;)
I love photo's, don't we all.

bparrish

Ummmmmmm.   What !!!!!????

See ya
Bob

ACL1504

Cuse,

I sent you an email in reference to a trade.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Janbouli

Quote from: bparrish on June 15, 2015, 11:11:22 AM
Ummmmmmm.   What !!!!!? ???

See ya
Bob

The following truck is obviously a 1945 truck , the valve is at 1 o'clock, had it been a 1940 truck it would have been at 6 o'clock, had it been a 1946 model it would have been at 12 o 'clock  ;) ;) ;)

ReadingBob

Too funny Jan!   ;D

John - I think I mentioned this before but you're welcome to pick through my stash of UNBUILT Jordon's and take any that you may need.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on June 15, 2015, 02:57:29 PM
Too funny Jan!   ;D

John - I think I mentioned this before but you're welcome to pick through my stash of UNBUILT Jordon's and take any that you may need.   ;)

Bob,

Cuse just left! He walked away with 5 built Jordan kits, three unknown vehicles and 11 UNBUILT Jordan kits. I think he is headed your way with the unbuilt kits.

Have fun! 8)

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Jan...

I'm still lost.  What establishes 12 or 6 ?????

cuse

I've got to help Reading Bob work through his unreasonable dread of Jordan kits. A Jedi Ninja model builder like him should never acknowledge his fear of ANY modeling challenge!  ;)

Thanks for the swap Tom. I'll deliver the hotel soon. It'll look great on your layout...John

Janbouli

Quote from: bparrish on June 15, 2015, 06:13:06 PM
Jan...

I'm still lost.  What establishes 12 or 6 ??? ??

Where the valve is on the clock, but these are such fine details , hard to see on an HO model. ;D

ACL1504

Quote from: Cuse on June 15, 2015, 07:07:21 PM

Thanks for the swap Tom. I'll deliver the hotel soon. It'll look great on your layout...John

John,

My pleasure and thank you. Looking forward to the hotel but there is no hurry - when you get the time is fine.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on June 15, 2015, 02:11:15 PM
Quote from: bparrish on June 15, 2015, 11:11:22 AM
Ummmmmmm.   What !!!!!? ???

See ya
Bob

The following truck is obviously a 1945 truck , the valve is at 1 o'clock, had it been a 1940 truck it would have been at 6 o'clock, had it been a 1946 model it would have been at 12 o 'clock  ;) ;) ;)

You guys have this all wrong - to be prototypically correct you need to have at least 2 lug nuts missing on these 8 lug nut wheels. Also, post war tires had lots of patches.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John

The layout looks great! I enjoyed looking back through the thread. One comment on the vehicles - I was born in 1958 and I remember my Grandpa's model T truck and model A Sedan that he used everyday until his death in 1968. The farmers learned how to keep these vehicles running forever thanks to the depression and the war. He also had a new Chevy stake truck that I believe was a 1948. I remember calling it Grandpa's new truck and it had to be 15 years old. The point of this little story is that the old vehicles are prototypically correct, even if they are 40 or more years old.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad