Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erieman

John,

I agree with everyone else. The devil is in the details and you are doing a very fine job of it. Keep up the great work.

Frank / Erieman

cuse

Thanks for the comments, gents.

I'm on a short vacation, but I brought my idea notebook and am thinking about next projects.
1. BEST ball signal arrived in the mail before I left. That will add a splash of color to the winter drab of the yard.
2. Started building switch stands before I left-felt like I was back in N scale
3. Line poles with EZ thread - have to first decide on plausible placement. I've seen layouts where the power lines just overwhelmed the scene.

John

cuse

I finished one of the two BEST ball signal kits that came in the box. I also can see the two switch stands I assembled in the pictures attached. I still have to plant those and paint the targets - I really just put them on the layout to keep them out of harm's way for now. I do like the vertical elements and color these additions bring to my yard/railroad headquarters.

John

GPdemayo

Those ball signals are really neat John.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PennsyJ1

Bill Cutler
bcutler123@comcast.net

cuse

Last night I was looking for something to do on the layout, but not quite physically motivated to get my hands on something delicate. I got started reviewing some of my to-do lists and it led me to favorite articles, layout profiles, to inventory my unbuilt kits and existing rolling stock, and eventually, back through my binders of notes and ideas that I have kept pretty consistently since around 2008 (probably around the time I found the Scotty Mason Podcast-->The online forum-->The Craftsman Structure Show-->The SBG (my local group of modelers I discovered by way of some guys in New England) -->The Expo, etc. right up to the present day). It was great to see the progression of my modeling and refinement of what I really wanted to accomplish. The point I'm at now is really exactly where it all led, almost like an evolution. Less compromises, more focus on what I value, and I'm completely comfortable with my total disregard for what I don't care about (like realistic operations, heavy industry...).

I started writing a profile of my layout...it's purpose, it's influences, it's location, era, etc. I thought this might help me focus my modeling going forward and I believe it does. Once I started, it just poured out. One point led to another and the vision became clearer and clearer. It was actually a lot of fun. I've NEVER considered myself a prototype modeler or even a fan. I am a shameless modeler of my favorite models. The pages of Model Railroader and the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette were always my primary ways of "rail fanning". I filled in some gaps with information obtained from various sources and came away with the attached. I'm not modeling specific places or operations, but I understand that a realistic narrative helps the scenery look "right". Everything in the story and on the layout is borrowed from my modeling heroes...from town names to specific scenic elements - I see it as a tribute (but maybe I'm just an uncreative copycat).

I wasn't going to share it, but maybe some of you might find it useful. My kit building and craftsmanship doesn't rival some of the awesome talent on this thread, but I'm a pretty good organizer of information. This kind of project works for me, maybe you'll find it has some application for your layouts too...

GPdemayo

Great story and presentation John.....terrific way to organize your thoughts. I enjoyed the read.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 12, 2015, 10:10:18 AM
Great story and presentation John.....terrific way to organize your thoughts. I enjoyed the read.  8)

Ditto, SBG John.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

gnatshop

I wish I could be as organized and thoughtful as you, John.
I'm just a lot of loose thoughts and plans in my head.  I build things that I like
and just try to find an idea to make them fit in.
Your lay-out and planning get my highest Kudos!  Keep up the great work!!!

Twist67

Hi,
nice story for your railroad. Well done and very believable history.

Cheers,Chris

donatode

Quote from: gnatshop on July 13, 2015, 12:12:29 AM
I wish I could be as organized and thoughtful as you, John.
I'm just a lot of loose thoughts and plans in my head.  I build things that I like
and just try to find an idea to make them fit in.
Your lay-out and planning get my highest Kudos!  Keep up the great work!!!

Naw!!  That couldn't be Gnat???? Could it????

jlgrove

...great stuff John..while I don't want to hijack this thread, this is as good a place as any for me to comment....John and this layout were a big motivation to me to get my passion back in the hobby....some of you visited my old layout....over 1800 square feet of layout....lots of locos, cars, vehicles, structures, etc....I thought a very nice layout and presentation....but missing a definite direction.....
..with this downsize move we're doing I knew I would have to make some decisions....some as severe as maybe not even having a layout...but John has helped me decide to -

- work with a specific date - April 24, 1934
    - a specific purpose, logging to the mills and docks
    - specific locale - Alleghany mountains of MD to the docks/waterways of NC
    - loads of specific details per scene, every scene will have a purpose and a population
    - craftsman kit structures (probably a lot of CCK stuff  ::) )
    - specific locos and rolling stock (quality not quantity)
    - to borrow from Howard Zane, to attempt to make the layout an artistic venture

.....of note, I will only have about 300 square feet to work with for my layout room.....but it is intended to have 2 levels plus a third mountain level, so there will be plenty of opportunities for my "plan"

....my thanks to John for what he has done and shown us on this thread, it has been my inspiration as I move forward on the NEW Pine Valley Timber Company.....

cuse

Wow...I'm speechless. Thanks for all of your feedback and encouragement.

John

cuse

A little cobbling of a Jordan cab built by ACL Tom and a cool little water tank by Cuzzin Dave Fugere and a quickie flatbed by me produced this...

John

ReadingBob

Sweet looking little truck John!   :D   It's got the perfect look for your layout.

P.S. - I'm delinquent in reading your document but I'll get around to it.   ;) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.