Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

I couldn't wait any longer for Caboose Hobbies to re-ship my order. In the spirit of small, narrow-gauge operations, I cobbled together what scraps I had and finished the main loop of track. There was a bit of pushback from the HO scale engineers and brakemen, but I was able to get the union's ok with the addition of the styrene guardrails. Their negotiators cited the Lionel Railroad vs. Gomez Adams case as precedent, but they wore down with the understanding that no revenue could quickly turn into no HO scale jobs. I'm not here to make friends, I've got a railroad to run.  ;)

Next on the agenda...some family and/or fitness time. I'll make it back to the trains sometime today.

John

bparrish

John.............

Gomez Adams................ too funny ! ! ! ! !

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

donatode

Quote from: Cuse on January 30, 2016, 01:18:42 PM
I couldn't wait any longer for Caboose Hobbies to re-ship my order. In the spirit of small, narrow-gauge operations, I cobbled together what scraps I had and finished the main loop of track. There was a bit of pushback from the HO scale engineers and brakemen, but I was able to get the union's ok with the addition of the styrene guardrails. Their negotiators cited the Lionel Railroad vs. Gomez Adams case as precedent, but they wore down with the understanding that no revenue could quickly turn into no HO scale jobs. I'm not here to make friends, I've got a railroad to run.  ;)

Next on the agenda...some family and/or fitness time. I'll make it back to the trains sometime today.

John

cuse

Two months since I've done anything worth posting >:(  My EXPO prep led me to the layout...I built up an elevated support for the lighthouse that will eventually be connected via precarious wooden decks and stairways to some little fishing shacks on stilts among a rocky coastline. The "Iron Altar" is just some weights holding it in place while the glue sets. I also performed the violent act of cutting in a spot for Martin Machine, which was built on heavy plywood - a little dust, but no drama. My plan is to build a hill around it to match it's multi-level design.

John

ACL1504

John,

Looking good and the lighthouse area will be a wonderful eye catcher.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Pretty cool John.   8)  I miss the old layout  :'( but it's exciting to see all the neat stuff you're coming up with to take it's place.

See 'ya up in Bawstin!   :D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

cuse

I finally built something ;D   I believe it's the fishing shack from Nick & Nora that I picked up from the Expo. I've got a few small kits that I hope to assemble into a little waterfront mess inspired by Don Railton's magnificent "Nolan Cove" diorama. This is step one of a zillion, but it's something. I used Bar Mills shingles for the siding. I've got a few castings to paint and then some weathering to finish it off. Eventually, it will reside on some pilings with some wooden walkways between structures, land, lighthouse, and dock.

After examining this photo, I took some obvious shortcuts that I don't really notice with my eyes alone. I better go tune it up. The strip wood railing is too heavy, the side of the aluminum roofing needs color, the pinhead doorknob is enormous...yikes.  :P I think the oversized finial will be ok as I will be adding some ornate nautical decorations that the old sea captain who lives here has accumulated. When the scene gets a little busier and additional roof details, like a stovepipe, are added, I expect the finial's size to be downplayed a bit. Just glad to be in motion again.

John

Raymo

Looks good John. Forward motion is always a good thing. ;D

barrymk

Re the fish shack I find photos are the best way to find the bits that don't work, they just glare at you although they don't seem apparent to the naked eye. I think a form of selective blindness happens when we think a model is finished.
Modelling my version of Colorado Narrow Gauge here in the UK.  Any resemblance to reality is purely accidental.

cuse

Got a little train time in today...I'm moving things around in my "Railton Cove" area to see how I should make it work. Many of you are familiar with Don Railton's Nolan Cove diorama. I would like to do a small scene of fishing shacks on stilts connected by rickety wooden walkways and stairs. Don's diorama is one of the best things I've ever seen. I imagine I'll construct a deck and connecting walkway from the lighthouse down to the shacks and possibly even a wooden walkway to the station, which will be partially supported by a planked wooden deck that melds into the trestle. Beneath it all...rocks, rip rap, junk, seaweed and saltwater.

John

GPdemayo

Looking good John.....thanks for having us up so we could see it up close. it looks even better in person.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jimmillho

ACL1504

John,

Great job on the dioramas. I love the Don Railton Brian Nolan Cove diorama. It is truly a classic. Yours will look just as impressive. Keep up the great work.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Janbouli

Neat little structures John , lots of character.
I love photo's, don't we all.

cuse

I did just enough to justify a bump  ;)

Just sort of winging it as  I throw together "Railton's Cove"...whatever's in the scrapbox, on the workbench, or on top of the last layout's salvage pile is a possibility. I've got a bunch of Micro Engineering Bridge Ties soaking in Hunterline stain. I plan to string together a web of multi-level walkways and stairs to connect the structures in this little scene.

Hope you approve...John