Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

Thanks guys. I just picked up some beautiful builds that Reading Bob did for me...that has certainly got me even more fired up to get back in gear.

Jim. My brother Ed still runs the tree company out of those structures. They are very sturdy concrete garages that (when I was very little) still had enormous coal bunkers atop them. Now it's just a simple concrete 3 bay garage and another concrete building across the "yard". I doubt that second building ever had any railroad-related activity. Not very "railroady" any more. If I make it up to Pelham in August, I'll skim through my Mom's many photo albums (dating back to volume 1"Army"- my dad's time in WWII) and see what I can find. I do remember seeing some pics of the demolition of the coal bunkers (probably mid to late 70's).

John

jrmueller

Thanks John It would be great if you can find anything  Sometime we will have to get together and share stories, such as when a friend and I hid from your father after throwing firecrackers on E esplanade   Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

cuse

Not a bad morning. All lighting attached to new framing. All new L-girder support system. Also, inventoried all boxes of train stuff...still missing all my big Fos kits...that is a valuable box and it's still at large  :o

Anyway, very happy with all of the infrastructure I finished. This must be what ACL Tom feels like every day.

cuse

what's with the #@*& sideways pictures. I've been posting pics here for a century, using the same computers, etc

I'm out...can't imagine finding time to fix  >:(

John

ACL1504

Yes, and it feels great. Everyday being a Saturday is a good thing when building an empire. ;D

Tom 8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

Had a good morning. Finished up the upper facia, fixed a lighting issue, painted some flex track, did some more lighting adjustments, made some decisions about the back side of the layout plan. Here's where we're at...

Notice the blackout cordless blinds under the layout...seemed like a good way to conceal storage while still having easy access. The upper and (not there yet) lower facia will be flat black, so I think the blinds will add to the "pedestal" effect and prevent eyes from being drawn away from the modeling. I'm pleased with that decision.

John

ACL1504

John,

Great to see progress on the layout. The blinds are a great idea to hide stuff.

Looking really good Butty!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

fsmcollector67

John,
Off to a good start, Now I know what you meant by "In no hurry". Still progress has been made.....
I have another build in progress.......keep an eye on it......
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Zephyrus52246

Making progress is good!  I like the blinds as well.

Jeff

jimmillho

I like the blinds, keep upon the progress John

Jim

LongHornCaddy

Wow, Love this RR!  Nice looking layout with some great structures. 

cuse

Alright...other than the killer storm bearing down us, things are going great at the "layout house" on the coast. Trains are running full loops for the first time today! still haven't wired up the sidings (I'm DC- so block control) but life is good and scenery is coming. ;D

John

fsmcollector67

John,
I see the old Brewery up on the hill, and little old carters in there....Looking real good......Good luck with the Storm...
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

cuse

Good eye, Loren, and thanks. I guess I really need to organize my next steps...I have a bad habit of impulse building and skipping steps which leads to back pedaling later. Still firming up my vision for scenic plans. Next...

-gotta get with my backdrop guy soon. I don't want to get too far without that or it'll be 2x tougher
     I'm still not certain how I'll handle the end. Probably just elevate the scenery/trees/Dead Horse
     Bay to minimize the end of the backdrop. The plan is high rocky elevation ala Foscale.
-insert ties into track joint areas and paint turnouts...good time to dry brush ties & scrub all the rail
-wire up switchable siding blocks (off/on toggles)
-plan and install lower facia (with front contours) and install block toggles and throttle panel
-plan interior lighting "drops" (handful of buildings)
-start on foam landforms for foregrounds and coastline

2 kits to build- SW woodcutter's and Seaport Capt Hook Lobster (have reserved spots -along with Fos'
          Dead Horse Bay, which has some premium Oceanfront real estate reserved)

Just thinking out loud...John