Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Great progress John. Are you building it similar to your last layout?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

cuse

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 08, 2024, 02:27:13 PMGreat progress John. Are you building it similar to your last layout?
Absolutely nothing like it...I have a 5' x 5' space, so it won't be linear with a backdrop like the last...this one is looking to be much more "cartoonish" for lack of a better word...dramatic scenes, lots of very vertical scenery, 3 independent loops with trains popping in and out of tunnels and across precarious bridges no engineer would put their name on...long way to go, obviously, but I plan to have a couple of peaks over 6' above the floor and very controlled viewing angles on all 4 sides to make it seem larger...nothing like I've done before...I guess I still haven't judging by the pics.  ;D

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteAbsolutely nothing like it...I have a 5' x 5' space, so it won't be linear with a backdrop like the last...this one is looking to be much more "cartoonish" for lack of a better word...dramatic scenes, lots of very vertical scenery, 3 independent loops with trains popping in and out of tunnels and across precarious bridges no engineer would put their name on...long way to go, obviously, but I plan to have a couple of peaks over 6' above the floor and very controlled viewing angles on all 4 sides to make it seem larger...nothing like I've done before...I guess I still haven't judging by the pics.  ;D

Sounds facinating!

Cheers, Mark.

cuse

Thanks Mark, your modeling is certainly an inspiration. I've never been as "multi-level" or multi-grade as I'm trying to be this time. I love the way you've incorporated steep roads with buildings set on angled foundations, etc to accommodate...just adds so much more interest and you've nailed it.

cuse

OK...I came around to the lightning-bolt realization that the design and overall "feel" of the new layout wasn't moving me. I think it's partly due to my visit to Jim Gray's incredible layout during the NNGC in Colorado last year. His scenery dwarfs the trains and structures...it's the opposite of the "caricaturish" busy elements I thought would be fun to try. 

So, I return to more of a "simple track - complex scenery" vibe...I think I may have been trying to fit in everything I wanted and my beautiful structures on hand to an unrealistic degree. I removed the entire middle level of track and chopped into the upper loop and am converting it to a point-to-point branch that will spiral down and around the mountain precariously - connecting a mine at the highest point of the layout to a remote wharf scene directly influenced (if not blatantly stolen  ;) ) from Dick Patterson's Dolly Varden layout. I've already purchased a Circuitron reversing circuit - so I can just let it go, which is my primary preference for operations. I also took advantage of family visiting from out of town, including 3 strong guys, to coordinate "lift-sliding" my entire layout over about a foot, so I could extend the branchline out of the 5x5 square and onto a shelf along the wall.

I also went on a bit of a goose chase today to find Homasote. My previous source (a lumber yard in Winter Park) is gone but I found a yard in Downtown Orlando that carries it. When I called, they made a point of telling me that they wouldn't do more than 1 cut  >:( . I told them I'd pay for cuts, if necessary, but was told that wasn't possible   :-X which is, of course, an utterly ridiculous policy-if you have any interest in pleasing customers. Anyway, I just decided that I'd have the sheet cut horizontally and that I'd just have to rely on a couple of wasteful foot stomps to get the 2 x 8 lengths to fit in my Tesla...once I got there the guy at the counter said "no problem" regarding more than one cut and all is well.

Big progress soon. I'll post pics and maybe a track plan (once I sketch one) so this makes some sense. 

S&S RR

I'm looking forward to seeing where your new direction takes you.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

cuse

Productive Sunday for me.
-basically completed all of the benchwork for the extension along the wall
-backdrop showed up ...needs to be cut and hung. I plan to put it up a bit and build "towering"  ::) rock walls up to meet it.
-removed the entire middle track level, which was a very toylike figure 8
-chopped the upper loop into a winding branchlike with a steep grade down to the expansion area where it will terminate onto a coal bunker to load barges. There will be a mine at the other end and some sort of development halfway down...still deciding if that will be another mine, engine service, or some kind of industry, or just a tiny outpost...fighting the urges to fill it with my existing buildings and maintain the whole "way out in the mountains" vibe of the branchline

*Reversing Circuit (for the branch) arrives today...no rush to install that, but looking forward to it once tracks are finalized

*The expansion will keep me in shape (limit my own expansion?) as the working aisle is only about 21"...so far so good. It's actually not that critical for access beyond initial construction and it's not very deep.

PRR Modeler

I look forward to seeing your progress.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

Looks like your making headway.  Hope you work faster than I do.  :) 

Jeff 

S&S RR

Great to see you in the train room! I like what you are doing with the changes. I will be watching your progress.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

Looks like your off to a great start.  I'll be following along as usual.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Cuse.

Looks like you have some nice vertical displacement in the corner there.

Cheers, Mark.

cuse

Thanks for checking in guys...Jeff, I work fast but very infrequently  ;D

GPdemayo

Wow John.....a whole new direction, neat.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

cuse

Yep...have to come see it, now that I'm just up Markham Woods Rd from you