PRR Bellevue Sub Build

Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

The mine lighting looks great! Well done Curt and  Bob.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tct855

Curt~,
          Wow, I like the lighting on the mine.  Animation (i.e. illumination) is just awesome with bringing all this great work of gluing and painting to life. 8)
                                                                                                                                          Thanx Thom...

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

All looks just beautiful as always.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Bob, Greg, Tom, Thom, and Karl for following along and your kind words.

Since I posted last the mainline and interchange track ballasting is complete. After that I started on the ground cover around the mine. After some mis-steps I finally have the base layers down.

I'm using Scenic Express Medium Soil and Dirt (very heavy compared to WS products). The problem with it is when it is sprayed with RA and thinned glue that it dries looking wet although it's dry. The fix is to brush straight Elmers onto the surface sprinkle the soil directly on the glue then pat it down. It then retains it's color. I added small areas of dark green ground cover and cinders. I still have static grass (new for me) and grass clusters to put down.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Your ground cover looks just great. can't wait to see more.

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Karl thank you for following along and your kind words.

Today I made my first foray into static grass. I have the WS applicator, power supply and the WS low power vacuum for recycling loose static grass.

Today the first layer was a 7mm straw, followed by a 12mm light green, and finally and a 12mm dark green.

Note to self: Tape off areas to assist cleanup and I need to fix some ballast areas.
Curt Webb

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Great photos. Love the 3 way turnout and the scenery looks great around it. And you are quite welcome.

Karl

GPdemayo

I like the look the static grass, I need to try the process one of these days.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

NKP768

Good job on the static grass Curt. I bought the same WS applicator after looking at a number of different models. I'm itching to try it but I'm afraid I'm no further than the Plywood Central right now.

Doug

Zephyrus52246

Good job mixing the colors/heights.  Remember the 12 mm grass is over 3 foot tall in HO, don't use it for someone's lawn.  Though I do have a neighbor... :)

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

On the "wet dirt" look.  You can also "drybrush" some of the fine soil onto the top to lighten it. 

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Karl, Greg, Doug, and Jeff for your kind words and following along.

Jeff- Thank you for the suggestion. I used it today.

Today I finished the BTS Cabin Creek Mine and "planted" it onto the layout.  The stairs from the tipple to the boiler house had to be finished on the layout. I may add more people and vehicles later. Next on the layout will be the power plant and distribution yard (both
are Walthers kits and already built).

I took the lighted shot obviously before detailing last night.
Curt Webb

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Karl

ReadingBob

Looks good Curt!  Especially all lit up.   8)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on November 13, 2021, 04:45:21 PM
Looks good Curt!  Especially all lit up.   8)

Curt,

I agree! Two thumbs up from here.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com