FSM #130 - Ezra Coopers Garage

Started by GPdemayo, July 03, 2020, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Greg, I'm really enjoying your build thread. Your attention to detail and your careful methods are something we all can try to achieve in our own builds.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on September 13, 2020, 11:15:06 AM
Great job Greg!  Glad to see you found something to do that'll keep you out of trouble.   ;D

Thanks Bob.....I try to stay out of trouble, but sometimes I don't always succeed, but I do try.  :o
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: Jerry on September 13, 2020, 11:51:02 AM
Nice looking floor!!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.....appreciate you looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 13, 2020, 03:04:39 PM
Greg,

The garage is looking very good, nice job.

I see you have two "Greg Speeds", one for running locos and one for building. Just an observation.

Tom ;D

Thanks Tom.....appreciate it. Your cop super powers of observation and deduction are still as sharp as ever.  ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

hey Greag:

The floor looks great. Enjoyed the rest of the pics to. This is an FSM kit I have not built. I will enjoy your build.

Karl

GPdemayo

Quote from: nycjeff on September 13, 2020, 05:42:03 PM
Greg, I'm really enjoying your build thread. Your attention to detail and your careful methods are something we all can try to achieve in our own builds.   Jeff

Thanks Jeff.....appreciate the kind thoughts.  :)

I've always tried to think ahead when I build these kits, kinda like I did when I built the real things, but on these first two kits, I have had a couple of "oops" moments that should have never happened. I'll run thru the list at the end of the build..... :-[
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Thanks Karl.....I'll have a few more photos of the floor when it is completed in a few days.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Lynnb

Gregory I'm just catching up with everyones works, every part you've been through is looking really good. Sounds like the airbrushing part is new to you, but worked out well with the walls? Airbrushing certainly gives a nice variation.
I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the castings and the metal siding. When I did my Baileys kit the instructions gave terrific direction for the rusted metal roof appearance.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

GPdemayo

Hi Lynn.....yes, the airbrushing is very new to me. I'm just getting used to it and will need a bunch more practice to get proficient with it, but it is coming along.

Thanks for looking in. :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Hi again.....a bit of progress on the garage finally.

The floor is completed and the other two sides of the building have been glued together. The walls have not been glued to the slab at this point.

Exhibit #1 - (ECG-067)

The next step is to get the walls attached to the slab. Note - the bottom plate was run thru the door openings during construction of the framing for the walls.

There are two ways to accomplish this, glue the walls with the opening bottom still attached and cut them out later or cut them off before gluing. I decided on the later because it seemed simpler to get a clean cut on the work bench rather the having to chisel the cut clean after it was glued in place.

The jury is still out with this one as there seems to be advantages and disadvantages to both procedures.

Exhibit #2 - (ECG-069)

With the bottom plates removed from the openings, the walls are not very stable and must be handled gently. Luckily, there were no disasters and the walls are in place. With this done, the last two pieces of flooring can be run across the door opening.

Exhibit #3 - (ECG-074)

With the walls in place and all glued together it was time to set the posts and beam that will support the roof rafters.

George calls for 1/16" roof braces on 6' centers from side to side to support the roof decking. Without any posts to support the bracing over the 31' span it would allow for a very bad deflection in the braces, eventually leading to a roof collapse, even without a heavy snow load on the roof.

I chose instead to run posts and a beam the 41' from the front wall to the back wall with posts on 13'-6" centers (+/-). This would be sufficient to carry the dead and live loads loads on the beam from the roof. The posts are 6x6 and the beam is a 6x10.

I included two photos of this, because I like the way the light was coming in on the building at the time of day that the photos were taken.

Exhibit #4 - (ECG-077)

Exhibit #5 - (ECG-079)

That's all for today.....see y'all next time.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Greg,

Fantastic job on the floor and interior walls. I love it! Great stuff my friend.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Beautiful modeling Greg. Is the roof flat for this?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Thanks Tom.....appreciate the support.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Thanks Curt.....not flat, the roof has a low slope from front to back.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Greg:

This is a great kit. Love what you have done sofar. Can't wait to see more.

Karl