Share your FOS Kit of the Month Builds here!

Started by ReadingBob, July 26, 2020, 11:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: BandOGuy on July 26, 2020, 09:55:58 PM
Bob,
How 'bout a quick lesson on how you did the coal company roof.
PLEASE?

I applied 3M Transfer Tape to both the main roof and small roof first.  Then I glued the main roof in place.  For roofing material I didn't bother with the material include in the kit (paper).  I pulled out some Stoney Creek Scale rolled asphalt roofing (gray) that I purchased at the Scranton EXPO years ago.  I cut it into scale 3' width strips and then applied it from the bottom up.  The 3M Transfer Tape makes this relatively easy and mess free.  I applied them wider than necessary (over the edges) and trimmed them to size with a small pair of scissors after the fact.  When the main roof was done I glued the small roof in place and then did the same thing with that one.  The only difference being I had angle cut the end where it meets the main roof.  Afterwards I cut a thin strip of roofing (about 3/16"), folded it and glue it to the peak of the roof as a ridge cap.  A little light dry brushing with some off white acrylic craft paint and light application of a few Pan Pastels to vary the color a little bit and I was done.   :D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on July 27, 2020, 07:19:39 AM
I wish I could afford to be a member. I really WISH, I could get me hands on the Used Car Dealership, that kit looks INCREDIBLE.

Bob, those build look great, I really like Shaws Custom Lures.  Did you use some sort of jig to build the stairs on the Coal Building?  I just ordered the stair jig from KC's Workshop, has I have plans for a scratch build in the future.

-Steven

Hey Steven.  Thanks!  There was no jig for the stairs.  The runners got glued into place first and then I applied the steps one at a time with tweezers.  A bit tricky but it worked out okay.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Thanks Paul, Curt, Opa George and Steve for the nice comments on the builds.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

GPdemayo

Nice jobs with the kits Bob and Mark. Thanks for sharing with us.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

craftsmankits

Quote from: ReadingBob on July 27, 2020, 07:38:39 AM
Quote from: craftsmankits on July 26, 2020, 05:41:38 PM
Sorry to post a kit that is already featured, but it's the only Fos Kit of the Month that I've finished.  It's also a lesson for me in how to post pictures.  Very much a rookie to this site. Mark

Don't be sorry Mark!  I want to see everyone's take on these kits.  You did an outstanding job on this one all the way around.  I love everything about it.  Thanks for sharing.  ;D

Thanks Bob,  I may do Fos Scales Foster's Milk or Toppers Pancakes next.  It was nice a nice break from the work I've been doing on South River's Thorndike Mills.  Still, that little kit took me well over a week to finish.  Mark

ACL1504

I was a card carrying member of the KOM Club. Maybe I still am since I'm still getting them. I've also given some to other modelers on the forum. They are great little kits and will fit almost anywhere on any layout.

I decided to build the Harbor Master KOM but I also seriously kit bashed the heck out of it.

I needed a small water side structure under the railroad bridge on the Atlantic and Southern RR. I pretty much did an extensive rebuild on this one.

This is my version of KOM #18, June 2020.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

craftsmankits

I'm hoping to jump start this thread, since I find it interesting to see the different approaches taken by the many modelers that visit this site and contribute here.  This is my take on KOM #18.  I expanded the deck along the length of the building to accommodate a path from the rear of the building to the portion that I intend to face the water.  I'll eventually add a walkway to the building when it's set in place.  I added this feature since the building has only one door, and would probably require another entrance if displayed with one end facing the water, and the other facing land.  Extending the walkway behind the rear of the building, and adding a door would work well in my opinion.

I also added a fuel tank underneath the building.  It's from a Walthers kit for rooftop tanks.  I rusted the heck out of it, and while I'm not sure if it's prototypical in the least, I like the look.  Other than that, a pretty standard build of this Fos Scale kit. 

craftsmankits

Here are a few more views of the completed structure.

craftsmankits

Next up is my most recent KOM build.  I 'lifted' this build from Vilius's Scale Modeling Endeavors.  A great resource that can be found at the link below.

http://viliussm.blogspot.com/2021/

If you're unware of his builds, it's a fantastic voyage of modeling, with a few how too's and some great images.  A valued resource, that has cost me money, since he's influenced many kit purchases of my own.  His recent build of Kimball's Print shop inspired me to imitate his build to a high degree.  His first floor stucco work appears to feature walls that are higher than my own by maybe 4 to 6 scale inches.  If you reference his blog, you'll find a short description of the changes he made to the basic kit.

I also finished this kit on a small diorama, my first at this size, roughly six long, by 3 & 3/4 inches wide.  I did this in order to protect the fragile protrusions from 3 different sides of the structure.  The first picture is obviously the intended build from Fos Scale Model's KOM #25.  The next shot shows my measuring error.  Three doors are intended for the main loading area, and I miscalculated the width when reversing the walls, leaving myself short of required space for the third door.  Rather than carve, and cut off a portion to the right, since my stucco work was already finished, I improvised, and imagined the owners replaced a garage door with two doors, and filled in the remaining area with some corrugated, and framing.  I like the look.

craftsmankits

I added a small covered area on the rear of the building, along with a vent.  I used a Best chimney, and added some rust to the vent of the chimney using a product suggested by Keep it Rusty, Rust, made by Screen Products Limited.  Web Address:  www.dirtydown.co.uk   My first time using it, and I like the effect.  I used it upon the metal walkway, railings and supports.  It's worth a look, though it was expensive for the size.

The last two pictures outline my first attempt at a metal roof using the roofing paper supplied with the kit.  I sprayed Rust-oleum flat black onto the paper, then cut it into 3 foot scale wide strips.  Not sure if that's prototypical but it looks and feels appropriate.  I dabbed on some MSP Master Series Honed Steel with a sponge, then applied two colors of rust chalk, one brownish, the other more orange with a large brush.  I liked the effect.  After I applied the powders, I coated them with a misting of Krylon Crystal Flat, keeping the items far from the spray, allowing the spray to fall onto them, not so much as directly at them, in order to allow the powders to bond without knocking them off with a direct hit.

Janbouli

Wow , both look really fantastic , weathering is just perfect .
I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

Mark,

Fantastic job on both kits. Love the weathering effects as well.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com