Share your FOS Kit of the Month Builds here!

Started by ReadingBob, July 26, 2020, 11:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris.mincemoyer

craftsmankits

Nice builds Chris, thanks for posting.  Mark

GPdemayo

Thanks for posting your projects.....great job on these structures everyone.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Jerry

Some really nice building.  Congrats to all.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery

Nice fading/weathering on the lettering.  How did you do it?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dennis Bourey

Bob, Perfect!!! Same question as Dave.... Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

PaulS

Looks great as usual Bob !!!
Well done and thanks for sharing,
All the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

postalkarl

ReadingBob

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. 

Dave and Dennis - here are the steps I took to get the walls they way they look:

• Braced the walls.
  • Applied a coat of Driftwood Hunterline Weathering Mix.
  • Applied a coat of PollyScale Reefer White.  Just a little of the Driftwood is visible beneath the white.
  • Taped the stencil onto the wall and dabbed FolkArt 479 Pure Black using a sponge with a minimal amount of paint on it.  This is the hardest part.  Too much paint and it will bleed under the stencil.
  • Removed the stencil and used a fine brush to complete the lettering.
  • Any black paint that I got "outside the lines" I scraped off with the tip of an X-Acto knife.  At this point you have a nice white wall with very black lettering.
  • I dabbed a sponge (a piece of a grout sponge from Home Depot) in some Folk Art 708 Dove Gray and then removed most of the paint from the sponge by dabbing it on some paper.  Then I dabbed it on the walls to get some gray on them.  This is barely visible over the white but it changes the appearance.
  • I then dabbed the sponge in some Americana DA173 Khaki Tan and again removed most of the paint from the sponge by dabbing it on some paper.  Then I dabbed it on the walls to get some of the tan on them.
  • Next I added nail holes at two scale foot intervals with a ruler and ponce wheel.
  • I then bushed the walls with a very light 90% Rubbing Alcohol & India Ink mixture.  If it looked too dark I dipped my brush in pure 90% Rubbing Alcohol and thinned it down right on the wall.  The A&I mix can be used to remove some of the gray and tan if it got dabbed on a little too heavy but I had to be careful not to scrub off the black lettering.
  • I finished up by drybushing the walls with Folk Art 427 Ivory White.  That highlighted the edges of the clapboards.
And there you have it.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PaulS

Quote from: ReadingBob on September 13, 2021, 12:04:16 PM
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. 

Dave and Dennis - here are the steps I took to get the walls they way they look:

• Braced the walls.
  • Applied a coat of Driftwood Hunterline Weathering Mix.
  • Applied a coat of PollyScale Reefer White.  Just a little of the Driftwood is visible beneath the white.
  • Taped the stencil onto the wall and dabbed FolkArt 479 Pure Black using a sponge with a minimal amount of paint on it.  This is the hardest part.  Too much paint and it will bleed under the stencil.
  • Removed the stencil and used a fine brush to complete the lettering.
  • Any black paint that I got "outside the lines" I scraped off with the tip of an X-Acto knife.  At this point you have a nice white wall with very black lettering.
  • I dabbed a sponge (a piece of a grout sponge from Home Depot) in some Folk Art 708 Dove Gray and then removed most of the paint from the sponge by dabbing it on some paper.  Then I dabbed it on the walls to get some gray on them.  This is barely visible over the white but it changes the appearance.
  • I then dabbed the sponge in some Americana DA173 Khaki Tan and again removed most of the paint from the sponge by dabbing it on some paper.  Then I dabbed it on the walls to get some of the tan on them.
  • Next I added nail holes at two scale foot intervals with a ruler and ponce wheel.
  • I then bushed the walls with a very light 90% Rubbing Alcohol & India Ink mixture.  If it looked too dark I dipped my brush in pure 90% Rubbing Alcohol and thinned it down right on the wall.  The A&I mix can be used to remove some of the gray and tan if it got dabbed on a little too heavy but I had to be careful not to scrub off the black lettering.
  • I finished up by drybushing the walls with Folk Art 427 Ivory White.  That highlighted the edges of the clapboards.
And there you have it.   :)
Bob,
Thanks very much for the detailed information on the method to achieving your beautifully aged walls.  Many steps but to great effect !
Like nature and the effects of weathering over time you have the wonderful patina brought on by time, sun, wind, rain, etc ...
Well done and all the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl