The Atlantic and Southern Build, Part 1

Started by ACL1504, December 21, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

I had the same thought about it looking like a football stadium. Glad to see your moving forward with the new layout. Raymo

ACL1504

I came up with the only solution available to me. Either I'm a genius or a dang fool!

Here is what I did to make it work!

Remembering my cookie cutter layout days gone by, I decided to make the crossover on the same level, well actually, the same plane! The grade is only 1.1%  so I marked where all the turnouts needed to go and drew pencil lines where I needed to cut the plywood.

Time for a big Diet Pepsi break, I'll be back in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Raymo on June 22, 2014, 06:20:45 PM
I had the same thought about it looking like a football stadium. Glad to see your moving forward with the new layout. Raymo

Raymo,

I appreciate you stopping by for a look at the new ovalix stadium! ;D ;D ;D  Yes, I'm finally making some progress on the new layout.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After laying out the turnouts I added a few short sections of track to see how it would look. Once satisfied, I removed the tracka nd turnouts and cut out the pattern. I then secured the cut section and leveled it with the ramp secion and then added the turnouts.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

At this point the track has inclined only 3/8" on the left and only 3/4" on the right so the transition back to level two will be an easy grade as well. I did test this area extensively with a fenicky brass 4-6-2 and it ran fine in all directions. Apparantly having the three turnouts on the 1.1% grade was a stroke of genius!

Okay, maybe just a pure stroke of good fortune as well.

Time to stop while I'm ahead! Thanks for following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

Fantastic! Can't wait to  see this structure!

John

bruce.oberleitner

Uncle Tommie,
My God man!  Did somebody put a little something extra in your Diet Pepsi!  This is insanity! 

Hehe

BTW, have you done a train "Rollthru" test on the new helix?  I would hate for you discover too late that those passenger cars of yours can't make it thru the beast!  Of course it would be a serious problem if those refer cars filled with "Diet Pepsi" couldn't make it from the lower level to the upper level?  What would those poor town folk on your layout be forced to do.  Drink Diet Coke?   Say it isn't so Uncle Tommie!

;D ;D ;D

gnatshop

Darn, for a feller that been runnin' around in circles, that looks awesome!  ;D ;D ;D
Are you sure that you ain't descended from the Ledbetters?  Their mantra is - if it don't fit, either get a
bigger hammer or bring the saw back out!
Excellent solution!!!  8) 8) 8)

By the way, always trust the Babe - she was right - Crown Royal and Diet Pepsi would taste like s**t!  ::) ::) ::)

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jlgrove

Great progress Tom....glad to see you getting back to running trains......

ACL1504

Quote from: Cuse on June 22, 2014, 08:52:15 PM
Fantastic! Can't wait to  see this structure!

John

John,

Greg and Bill Cutler are coming by Thursday, June 16th and we'll be catching a little BBQ as well. Come on by or give a call! We'll be here.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: bruce.oberleitner on June 22, 2014, 09:12:49 PM
Uncle Tommie,
My God man!  Did somebody put a little something extra in your Diet Pepsi!  This is insanity! 

Hehe

BTW, have you done a train "Rollthru" test on the new helix?  I would hate for you discover too late that those passenger cars of yours can't make it thru the beast!  Of course it would be a serious problem if those refer cars filled with "Diet Pepsi" couldn't make it from the lower level to the upper level?  What would those poor town folk on your layout be forced to do.  Drink Diet Coke?   Say it isn't so Uncle Tommie!

;D ;D ;D

Cousin Brucie,

Yes, I've run several test runs and the Diet Pepsi tankers and reefers work the best of course. Diet Coke, I tell  you true Cousin, I don't do Diet Coke, period!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: gnatshop on June 22, 2014, 10:14:44 PM
Darn, for a feller that been runnin' around in circles, that looks awesome!  ;D ;D ;D
Are you sure that you ain't descended from the Ledbetters?  Their mantra is - if it don't fit, either get a
bigger hammer or bring the saw back out!
Excellent solution!!!  8) 8) 8)

By the way, always trust the Babe - she was right - Crown Royal and Diet Pepsi would taste like s**t!  ::) ::) ::)

Gman,

Okay, I admit I do have Ledbetter blood in me. The Ledbetter in me said, "This layout don't work! Remove the entire thing and start over"! And so I did!

I'll have to take the Babe and your word, I didn't try either one!

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on June 22, 2014, 10:46:36 PM
Tom

Your making great progress.

Thanks John,

Yes, I'm slowly moving up! Actually I'm moving up and around.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jlgrove on June 23, 2014, 06:47:49 AM
Great progress Tom....glad to see you getting back to running trains......

Groovy Jeff,

Yes, it is good to be running trains again. I'll be even more happy to get the layout around the room startred.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com