The Atlantic and Southern Build, Part 1

Started by ACL1504, December 21, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAP

You're making some great progress Tom.  Thanks for all of the pictures.  Carry on!
Mark

GPdemayo

There's no need to get insulting, calling me a government worker.  :o

If I was a bureaucrat, the ovalix drawings wouldn't be complete for another 8 months and they would be all screwed up.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Wow, it is good to see progress. Enough of all this drawing poop, lets see wood, lots of it. Keep up the great work my friend, I'll be watching from afar. Need to get moving on my station build among other things.

Enjoy your weekend. for me that's everyday!

Frank / Erieman

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on May 17, 2014, 08:03:43 PM
Tom

Congratulations - looks like real construction to me.  I will be watching your progress.
John,

Thanks, much appreciated. I'm finally getting somewhere.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: MAP on May 18, 2014, 05:28:20 AM
You're making some great progress Tom.  Thanks for all of the pictures.  Carry on!

Mark,

Thanks for stopping by to check in, much appreciated. I'll be posting more photos, lots of them in the coming weeks.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 18, 2014, 09:42:35 AM

If I was a bureaucrat, the ovalix drawings wouldn't be complete for another 8 months and they would be all screwed up.  ;)

Certainly you know I was just kidding! This ovalix wouldn't be looking like this without your unselfish and tireless work on the CAD drawings you've done for me. I do appreciate it very much! Have I groveled enough?

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Erieman on May 18, 2014, 12:41:55 PM
Wow, it is good to see progress. Enough of all this drawing poop, lets see wood, lots of it. Keep up the great work my friend, I'll be watching from afar. Need to get moving on my station build among other things.

Enjoy your weekend. for me that's everyday!

Frank / Erieman

Frank,

Getting started was a little slow but now I'm on a roll. Thanks to you and Greg. Sorry, but I have a little more of the drawing poop to post.

I planted two Pigmy Palms and some other stuff for the Babe this morning and my back is telling me just how old I am! Hopefully I'll get some layout work done this afternoon but if not I'll do the drawing poop and get that out of the way!

Thank for watching from afar.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PennsyJ1

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 18, 2014, 02:01:17 PM

Certainly you know I was just kidding! This ovalix wouldn't be looking like this without your unselfish and tireless work on the CAD drawings you've done for me. I do appreciate it very much! Have I groveled enough?

Tom ;D

It sounds like he may need your help again in the near future Greg after that rebuttal. ;D
Bill Cutler
bcutler123@comcast.net

ACL1504

Quote from: PennsyJ1 on May 18, 2014, 02:34:48 PM

Tom ;D

It sounds like he may need your help again in the near future Greg after that rebuttal. ;D

Oh dang, is the word out already! Is my genuflecting that obvious?

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I guess we are all tired of drawings by now but I need to show a couple more. Building a helix/ovalix is complicated to say the least. I don't care what anyone says. There is a lot of preparation in doing it correctly. One can't just willy nilly build one. Without Greg's assistance, this wouldn't be possible. I would have just willy nilled the project.

Remember, Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I mentioned yesterday that I have the benchwork bracing 12" on center. I mentioned to Greg that I wanted to go up 3" per ovalix loop. We picked out a spot on the track plan and made this ground zero. To get back to this spot or actually 3" above this "O" is 24 ft. Thus, the ovalix raises 1/8" every 12 inches. This gives me a very steep incline of 1.2! Only kidding about the grade. Refer to the two CAD drawings Greg did for the ovalix.

Following the 1/8" rise per foot with the 12" on center bracing will be easy peasy. I started the benchwork around the three walls first so I wouldn't have to crawl under the ovalix until the very last portion of the construction. And remember this base benchwork has to support nine loops on the ovalix  and the two top levels. There are three loops from staging to the second and six from level 2 to level 3.

In the two photos below you can see where I've added the right side of the ovalix and base to the benchwork. I'm about ten days from laying track on the ovalix.

Thanks for following along.

Chomping at the bit Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PennsyJ1

Mr. Tom, It is great to see wood in that corner of the room again. It looks like it is coming along great so far. Hang in there.
Bill Cutler
bcutler123@comcast.net

BandOGuy

1.5% grade?
Child's play for coal haulers. Use pushers. Adds interest to Operations.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

ReadingBob

Quote from: BandOGuy on May 18, 2014, 08:13:38 PM
1.5% grade?
Child's play for coal haulers. Use pushers. Adds interest to Operations.

That'll be Greg's job.  He runs into the back of trains when you not looking anyway.   ;D   ;D   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Quote from: PennsyJ1 on May 18, 2014, 02:34:48 PM

Tom ;D

Well Bill, I think a certain amount of contrition is warranted. Maybe over lunch a free lunch at Smokey Bones?

I mean it wouldn't have been so bad if he had compared me to a bottom feeding lawyer, but bureaucrats, oh the inhumanity!  ;D

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Tom ;D

Good start, I'll think about the requisite amount of groveling and get back to you!  :)

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL