nycjeff layout

Started by nycjeff, August 06, 2020, 04:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Continuing on...

Here are a couple of shots of boxcars waiting to be loaded. In the 1940's, before there were covered hoppers, boxcars were used to load grain. Heavy cardboard grain doors were nailed on the inside of the car doors. A slot at the top made loading easier and the cardboard could be cut from the outside to make unloading easier.
I can't remember where I got the grain doors.

IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

Here are some track level shots where the track winds around the back of the elevator. Trains look good coming around the curve behind the buildings.

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

Here's a long range shot of the shelf with the area we have been talking about.

IMG_1142.JPG

A little closer look at part of the town scene and the elevator area.

IMG_1143.JPG

That's it for now, more later.

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

At the top of the big "S" curve at the bottom middle of the layout diagram is an area I call the woods. After curving around the back of the elevator trains then enter the woods and almost immediatly curve again.

IMG_1146.JPG

There are two tracks running through the woods. The track on the right is the main line and the left side track is the grain elevator siding with a dirt road crossing it.

IMG_1147.JPG

A lower level look at the tracks going through the woods

IMG_1148.JPG

And now a look at the train starting to make the curve at the top of the woods. The shelf here is only 12 inches deep and at the curve it is 16 inches deep.

IMG_1152.JPG

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

After coming around the curve trains enter a shelf that goes the rest of the way across the bottom of the layout. The shelf here is 12 inches deep and 18 feet to the next corner area.

IMG_1151.JPG

The siding track has a dark ballast and the main line has a lighter color.

IMG_1149.JPG

A closer track level look at a train coming out of the curve.

IMG_1150.JPG

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

ReadingBob

Nice!  That looks like a fun railroad to do some railfanning on.  Love the scenery.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

nycjeff

Hello Bob, thanks for looking in. One of the best things about my layout, which for the most part is an around the walls shelf layout, is that it is easy to walk along with the trains and see the scenery as the train moves through it. I know that you're familiar with this type of layout- you see one on a lot of Saturday mornings.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Continuing on...

After coming out of the woods, trains enter a long shelf that is 12 inches deep and 18 feet long. There wasn't enough room for any structures with the track I wanted here, so I decided to create a lonely county road along the tracks, but only one lane of the road. There's only so much you can do in 12 inches. The tracks are the main line and a long passing siding. Here's a view of the siding entrance and also the beginning of the grain elevator siding coming at you.

IMG_1158.JPG

A look back at the turnouts and the beginning of the county road.

IMG_1159.JPG

A long view of the shelf, this shows almost the complete length.

IMG_1161.JPG

A track level view

IMG_1162.JPG

Here's a look at the far end of the passing siding

IMG_1163.JPG
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Vietnam Seabee

I'm sure late coming to this party...this is great, Jeff...it's going to take me a bit to go through 14 pages but I'm gonna start back on page 1
Terry

nycjeff

Hello Terry, welcome to my layout tour, I hope that you like what I have done. I'm at a point now where I am  going through existing scenes and upgrading the structures and/ or the scenery. As we all know- a layout is never done.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Continuing on...

Here are a couple of pictures of a train traveling along the shelf. The tank cars are from a Tichy bulk pack. If you haven't tried any Tichy freight cars, especially the bulk packs, I highly recommend them. They come six in a pack, are highly detailed and fun to put together kits and are very reasonably priced.

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures of the shelf from the outside the train room view. The shelf runs across the doorway to my train room. At first I made this a drop in section to fit across the door opening, but I ended up making it a duckunder. The track here is 60 inches from the floor, so it isn't too much of a stoop to get under. I painted the front with black and white warning stripes just to make it a little more obvious.

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Jim Donovan

Great photos of really nice scene. You've put a lot of love into this layout.

Jim
Holland & Odessa Railroad

ACL1504

Jeff,

Very nice, you are moving on down the track with the layout.

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Vietnam Seabee

Very nice, jeff...I like your fascia panel .... Looks very railroady
Terry

Zephyrus52246

As much as I love tank cars, I'll have to try one of those Tichy kits.  Your cars look great.

Jeff

nycjeff

Quote from: Jim Donovan on May 22, 2024, 09:10:07 PMGreat photos of really nice scene. You've put a lot of love into this layout.

Jim

Hello Jim, thanks for the kind words. I started my layout in 2007 and I'm at a point now where I am replacing plastic kits with wood craftsman kits and I'm also upgrading scenery as I replace those older structures. As we all know, a layout is never done.

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 23, 2024, 06:30:54 AMJeff,

Very nice, you are moving on down the track with the layout.

Tom

Hello Tom, it's nice to hear from you. As you know, when doing a layout tour, you always see things that you could have done better. The best thing about the forum is learning new techniques and seeing what other modelers have done with their layouts. It always gives me new ideas.

Quote from: Vietnam Seabee on May 23, 2024, 06:33:50 AMVery nice, jeff...I like your fascia panel .... Looks very railroady
Terry

Hello Terry, I wanted to make sure that people didn't walk into the shelf extending across the doorway so I purposely made it a railroady warning thing- thanks for noticing.

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on May 24, 2024, 09:11:21 AMAs much as I love tank cars, I'll have to try one of those Tichy kits.  Your cars look great.

Jeff

Hello Jeff, don't try just one of the kits- buy the 6 pack that they offer. They are very reasonably priced and you get to set up a sort of assembly line when building them. The quality of all the detail parts is amazing and it's a lot of fun.

My thanks to all of you that looked in and took the time to comment. It's nice to get some feedback.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

GPdemayo

Looks grand Jeff..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL