FOS Scale Models "Dead Horse Bay" HO kit #230

Started by madharry, November 14, 2020, 07:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Mike:

Roof looks just great so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

madharry

Continuing.........the roof is taking a lot of my time to get right. There was a gap between the main roof and the sub roof between it and Horvath. I have had to add a lot of bracing to the underside and bracing to the corners to Terrien to correct this. The other annoying thing has been trying to get the five small dormers to sit correctly. No directions in the kit. But I have shaved the bottom of the front walls to a 45 degree angle and added bracing to the inside of the side dormer walls and hopefully in the fullness oof time this will sit correctly on the roof.
Meanwhile I looked at the laser part for the deck of the front entry on the seconf floor of Terrien. As previously mentioned this laser part is very fragile and arrived damaged in the box. It is broken at the right end.

madharry

Using a single edged blade I carefully cut the part from the fret.

madharry

The right handside is broken. In order to prevent any further damage when gluing it to the building I decided to glue 2x10's to either end. I will let the glue set up before I attempt to attach it to the wall under the entry.
Mike

madharry

Continuing......................There are some freight doors to be prepared for one side of the building.

madharry

The doors and hinges are made of cream laserboard. I stained them first with A&I and then used my Derwent pencils to colour them. I found it easier to apply the hinges while the doors were still in the fret. The small hinges tend to be cut and then fly off into the distance. How do I know that! I added the doors to the building and then the laser cut balconies. I will let them set up overnight before adding the railings and support pieces.
Mike

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Keep It Rusty

madharry

madharry

Continuing................remember the half wall of an apex on Horvath. It is difficult to figure out where to position it. It came back to bite me!

madharry

A roof is balanced between this and taskboard roof support which is attached to the wall on Terrien. When it came to fitting the Horvath roof the roof support was higher than the apex roof. Anyone wanting to build this kit (currently selling at $540 on Ebay) should add some scrap wood to the apex to form a full height wall measured against the height of the taskboard roof support.I decided in the end to carefully carve a small bit of the height of the taskboard roof support. It was not easy to do as with the balconies already applied to the otherside of Terrien I could not hold the building down flat on a surface. Carefully holding the building in midair I used a NEW blade to cut a little bit off.

madharry

After gluing the roof down overnight I am pleased the roof looks level.............
Mike

PRR Modeler

It looks great Mike.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Wow!  Quite a few challenges thrown you way in this one Mike but you're doing your usual stellar job in working through them.  It's looking really good so far!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really good, Mike.

That is one weird roof!  Although I do think I remember having to do something similar on one of my scratch-builds.

Cheers, Mark.