Jensen inspired

Started by dick green, December 21, 2020, 10:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry.h

Just found this thread. Looks good Dick. If you need to add more variety of outboards, you can look at Frenchman river. http://frenchmanriver.com/HO-187-Scale-64%E2%80%9D-long-Outboard-Motor_p_42.html

They have a good variety of nautical detail parts in HO scale.

dick green

Ok here is my first pier started lots of cross bracing to do and maybe a railing to hang the motors on  ;D
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

dick green

Thanks for all the nice comments. I had some time to play today. I found some nut/bolt castings I've  probably had for 25 years. Wow those things are tiny!  I only lost three of them. I'll have to get some more they are a great detail. I played around with some figures i painted, nothing glued down. 

I'm looking for some half oil drums. I thought I had some. I want to use them to float the gas and bait dock.

looking at the picture I see I lost some rafter tails :-\
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

Keep It Rusty

That pier came out looking great!

Mark Dalrymple

Looks fantastic, Dick.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Dick:

very nicely done. Love your colors and very light weathering.

Karl

dick green

Thanks guys

Ok so you guys that scratch build; How much planning do you do and do you make plans and mock ups? I got some wood today to make the gas dock. this is my plan
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

Keep It Rusty

For me, I've never done a mock-up — useful as they are.

Outside of thinking about a project over and over in my head, I don't put down any plans. I just jump right in.

GPdemayo

I'll come up with a rough preliminary concept on paper, then put it in a CAD program and print it at HO scale. Something like the agent's dwelling below.

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

dick green

that would be great if I knew how to do that
Dick
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

Keep It Rusty

CAD is a wonderful tool to know.

That said, if the learning curve isn't something you want to put yourself on, you can just pull out a sheet of paper and do a rough sketch (even if it really is rough!).

This hobby is an art first and a precision second!

Mark Dalrymple

For my cannery and wharf I drew up a set of plans showing all elevations - old school.  I always at the least do a sketch, a site plan and build a mock-up.  I feel I really need to do this to see how my new structure will look in relation to all the others in my busy steep town scene.  I often build mock-ups and then don't go ahead with the build, or alter the mock-up considerably.  I also have a couple of pre mock-up techniques to quickly test to see whether building a mock-up is necessary (ie - I can see it just wont work).  These include putting various props in position and checking out the site lines, obstructions of the structures behind, scale etc.  I also often print out walls from my kits when kit-bashing, cut and tape together and tape to a piece of cardboard or MDF.  I did this recently with my 150T Sheepscot coal tower.  I could see immediately that it dominated the scene way too much.

Hope this helps, cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Dick,

Your added small details really change the entire/overall look of the building. Very well done.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

dick green

Dick
Apple Valley, Mn