SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 03, 2021, 01:08:14 AM
Tichy Train Group offer plastic fire escapes.  From memory they are finer and more in scale (and cheaper) than the Walthers ones. They might not be the shape you are after for this project, but might be worth checking out for the price.  I have kitbashed some.  Fiddly work, but you can get a quite different look.

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/p/8060-fire-escapes/Default.aspx

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

I was not aware of these and will order them for inventory, if I don't use them on this project. I have the build of the town of Vansel coming which will require some fire escapes.  Has anyone used them for a build?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Wow - page four and I haven't got all the parts out of the box and there is no glue or paint drying, yet. Amazing interest.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

It's time to get back to what's in the red box.

After I removed the pictures, the instruction book, the box of castings and the window castings the box looked like this.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Before I cracked open the red book I took a look at the pile of window castings and door castings and started getting them ready for priming in the paint booth.

A couple hours later, the first batch of parts that required a kaki primer were on the tray waiting for the finish coat of paint.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I keep the window castings on part of the spur until I'm done with the window glazing, I will be using canopy glue for the glass on this build. When I cut them loose from the spur I will have a brush ready with the final paint color ready for the touchup.

Note to self: Keep an eye on the spell checker - it thinks I want to say something completely different and adds words I don't use. :-[ :-[
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Resin being resin, two of Bob's beautiful big castings had taken a set packed away in the box. So I set them on the back of the workbench with some weights on top to let the creep work them back to straight. Creep is a Engineering term which describes how the material changes shape under stress.  It works faster if you warm the castings so some people put the castings in warm water before they add the weights. I don't think that will be necessary in this case. Bob's castings are works of art, as usual.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 03, 2021, 02:45:39 PM
Good start John.

Curt

Thank you for following along.  Update to the castings: I took the weights off them this evening and they stay nearly flat on the workbench.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I did some more research on the paint colors for this build, today.  I decided that the Mahogany trim color that I used on my Locomotive Works, and Stone Roundhouse was too dark brown for this.  I thought it needs more red. So I painted a sample with some barn red craft paint that I had on my workbench for another project.  Here is a picture of both test samples on the photographs of the build provided by Bob.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The next stop was at the Roundhouse and the Locomotive Works on my layout.

Here are the paint samples on the locomotive works (I used bottle number two of Vallejo Mahogany paint on this build).  The dark brown sample from my first test is from bottle three of Vallejo Mahogany paint.

Now for the roundhouse that was painted with bottle one of Vallejo Mahogany paint.

To my eye each bottle of paint with the same color name and number got less red or more brown.

I don't think I will be replacing the Vallejo paints as I use them up.  And for any project that may require more than the little bottles I will be moving to craft paints which will be purchased in the larger bottles where I don't have to worry about running out.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made some more progress on the build, today. Nothing picture worthy at this point - painting castings and adding bracing to the clapboard walls of the main building. I'm adding more bracing than what Bob recommends as the minimum so I'll post some pictures when they are complete.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Can't wait to se what you do with this. I never built or owned one of his kits.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 05, 2021, 07:55:09 AM
Hey John:

Can't wait to se what you do with this. I never built or owned one of his kits.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along.  Bob produced some very nice kits, you should build one.
John Siekirk