SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom.boyd.125

John,
Looks like the S&S RR will have a fine looking HQ building...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really good, John.

Nice to have a freshly painted structure on the layout.

Do the instructions ask for the valley flashings to be put on before the roof tiles?

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

John,

Fantastic looking roof shingles. I love the two toned pattern. It really changes the building appearance.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on February 11, 2021, 11:35:57 AM
John,
Looks like the S&S RR will have a fine looking HQ building...
Tommy

Tommy

Thank you for your help,  your slate shingle process is working great.  I added more today, along with starting the upper tower construction.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 11, 2021, 01:26:41 PM
Looking really good, John.

Nice to have a freshly painted structure on the layout.

Do the instructions ask for the valley flashings to be put on before the roof tiles?

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

I agree about the fresh paint, variety makes a big difference. 

As for the valley flashings,  there are only a couple valleys but lot of corners, and Bob recommends using masking tape painted grey in the instructions.  I think I'm going to use some of the scraps from the single sheets glued in place before I add the slate shingles. Some time ago I stocked up on Bob's slate shingles because I knew I had these projects coming, so I'm not concerned about running out of material.

Here is a picture of the two valleys on each side of the dormer roof.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 11, 2021, 04:38:07 PM
John,

Fantastic looking roof shingles. I love the two toned pattern. It really changes the building appearance.

Tom  ;D

Tom

Thank you for the complement. I'm thinking about adding a light brown random tile to the main roof.  At least I'm gong to try it and see if I like it. The picture that Bob posted a few pages back inspired me to do something a little different.  We will see.
John Siekirk

deemery

From a modeling perspective, I think too much contrast on the slates starts to look funny.  I've looked at a lot of slate roofs, some are very uniform, others are widely variable.  I try to keep my variation 'simple', it's kinda like scaling down bright primary colors on structures.  (Like the little store I painted Caboose Red, and then didn't like the result...)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on February 12, 2021, 11:06:31 AM
From a modeling perspective, I think too much contrast on the slates starts to look funny.  I've looked at a lot of slate roofs, some are very uniform, others are widely variable.  I try to keep my variation 'simple', it's kinda like scaling down bright primary colors on structures.  (Like the little store I painted Caboose Red, and then didn't like the result...)

dave

Dave

I've been playing with the markers and the shingles the last few days and finally found something I'm going to go with for this build.  Will see what you think. You sure can come up with a lot of different patterns with the markers that I bought. The one thing I have learned is that you need to let the colors dry over night to see just what you have - they lighten up a lot with time.  I'm wondering if they continue to lighten with time under the layout lighting.  I guess we will see - can anyone share their experiments with the fading of the colors over time?
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The pattern for the lower roof is the same as Bob suggested in the kit and can bee seen in the pictures above.

Here is my workbench and the strips that I have prepared for the main upper roof.

This is a closer view of the roof card.  I have about 2/3 of the shingles required for one side of the roof.  I'm coloring the shingle strips in batches - this is my first time using this material and I'm having a hard time telling how many sheets will be required to cover the roof card.

John Siekirk

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on February 14, 2021, 09:47:30 PM
Those slates look great!! 

dave

Dave

Thank you for the encouraging words.  This is one of those techniques that doesn't really come together until you apply them to the roof card.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 14, 2021, 11:18:29 PM
Really nice, John.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the kind words. A new technique for me and I like how it is coming out.
John Siekirk