KC's Workshop, Grumpy's Cafe - 2021 Build Challenge.

Started by ACL1504, January 01, 2021, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I used a single edge razor blade and cut the A/C pieces from the carrier sheet.

I then used an Emory board and carefully removed the small kerf tap where the sections were attached to the carrier.

I then glued the pieces together using Elmer's wood glue. When the glue on the main unit was dry I glued on the bottom piece. This piece fits nicely between the four sides. That is provided you get the unit square.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The top of the A/C unit has three pieces. There is a bottom piece, which has the fans laser cut on the board, a middle piece and the top piece.

I glued the small fan piece to the bottom side of the middle piece. This section/piece has two holes on one end. Make sure the fans are centered under the  middle and under the two holes.

The top piece has two holes and two thin bars across the holes.

The next photo shows the three pieces glued together.

The top piece is slightly larger than the middle one. If you center the middle piece under the top piece, the pieces will look as they do in the next photo.

Notice the difference in the pieces?

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The completed top section fits snuggly between the four walls of the main unit.

I used Model master Green Zinc Chromate to paint the unit.

I'll add weathering when the paint has cured.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

EricQuebec

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 26, 2021, 11:52:18 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on August 26, 2021, 07:32:13 AM
You're doing better than me.....I still haven't gotten back to the bench to complete Ezra Cooper's.  :(

Greg,

Maybe I'll get this one finished before Cooper's garage.

Tom  ;D

That's such a sad thought.....but probably true. :(
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Keep It Rusty

Enjoying seeing this one come together, Tom. It's a nice little kit.

Opa George

This build is looking really nice, Tom.  The corbels add a ton of character.  That rooftop air conditioner is a neat detail, too.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on September 06, 2021, 05:58:16 PM
I really like the leaking water feature.

Curt,

I like the water leak and the repair guy also.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on September 07, 2021, 07:35:31 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on August 26, 2021, 11:52:18 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on August 26, 2021, 07:32:13 AM
You're doing better than me.....I still haven't gotten back to the bench to complete Ezra Cooper's.  :(

Greg,

Maybe I'll get this one finished before Cooper's garage.

Tom  ;D

That's such a sad thought.....but probably true. :(

Greg,

Yepper, a few more hours and I'm moving on to the next build.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on September 07, 2021, 08:35:47 AM
Enjoying seeing this one come together, Tom. It's a nice little kit.

Craig,

Thank you and I hope the recovery is going well. I've added a few extra details and changed the overall kit but yes, it is a nice little one Kenny released.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Opa George on September 07, 2021, 09:46:46 AM
This build is looking really nice, Tom.  The corbels add a ton of character.  That rooftop air conditioner is a neat detail, too.

--Opa George

George,

I appreciate the compliment. I've used the corbels on another kit and really like them. They do add more character also. I just ordered more of the roof top A/C units.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I installed the windows and Grumpy's Cafe sign.

The roof is yet to be glued in place.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I tried several times to talk myself out of lighting and installing an interior. I failed on that attempt.  :-X

Old buildings that had multiple stores on the bottom had wood floors. So, I'll add a wood floor to the three stores.

I cut a piece of Northeastern Scale Lumber 1/16" X1/32" scribed siding for the floor.

Now to build partition walls and side walls.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com