KC's Workshop, Grumpy's Cafe - 2021 Build Challenge.

Started by ACL1504, January 01, 2021, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I mentioned I have several changes in mind for this kit. One that some may consider drastic but for me they just make sense.

For the purpose of this post, you can refer to the fuzzy photo below to follow my thinking.

In this photo, it appears the roof is slopped from rear to front. It isn't, it is the angle of the camera shot. The roof is flat. This brings me to another point. This is not a criticism of George's Riffraff Cafe build. It is an honest observation on my part. The rolled roofing on a flat roof doesn't look correct to me. If 90lb. rolled felt paper is used, it would be hot mopped with tar at the seems to prevent water incursion. I pan to have the roof set between the front and two side walls and slopped from front to back. The three walls will also have a wall cap and possible corbels on the front.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Another change will be the addition of an outside stair case to the second floor.

In the next photo you can see it will go on the right side wall.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Hey Tom, looking forward to another one of your kit bashes. You always make each kit your own in some way.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ACL1504

Quote from: nycjeff on January 05, 2021, 06:07:29 PM
Hey Tom, looking forward to another one of your kit bashes. You always make each kit your own in some way.    Jeff

Jeff,

Happy to have you follow along. I do like to kit bash the kits to make it one of a kind for my layout. This one will require more of a modification than I originally planned one. But hey, it's all fun huh?

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When I first posted this as my 2021 Challenge, I didn't realize anything was missing. Two weeks ago I got a note from Kenny saying he noticed the concrete base to the structure was missing. He included one in the mail with the note.

Thank you Kenny for the excellent customer service even though I was clueless in Orlando.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Everyone knows I like to change or kit bash structures I build for the Atlantic and Southern RR.

After studying the kit walls, I realized the kit bash would be more involved than I originally thought.

This kit and the RiffRaff Cafe on the F&SM, has a flat roof that overhangs on all four walls. If one wants a flat roof, then tar and gravel is appropriate and not rolled roofing. Yes, rolled roofing can be used but it will leak sooner than later.

Here is Grumpy's showing the flat roofing.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The above photo shows the rear wall of Grumpy's. I believe this will be fine and no modifications will be needed.

However, the two side walls will need to be higher for my kit bash.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In fact, both side wall and the upper front wall will need modifications.

I can cut the three new walls from a larger piece of scribed siding. Shown below -

Or, I can just cut three small wall sections and glue/splice them to the existing wall sections. Decision on this in the next few days.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Hi Tom.....Pegi just looked over my shoulder as I was checking out your progress and saw the name....."how nice, Tom named a building after you" said herself.

Ain't love grand..... ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jerry

Hey Tom looking forward to this new build of yours.  Sounds interesting to say the least!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ReadingBob

Okay, now that's A+++ customer service when the manufacturer notices you're missing a piece based on your build thread and sends it to you.   ;D

Looks like a great little kit that will fit in just fine on the A&S.  I'm glad to see you'll have a business named in honor of Greg.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Looks interesting, Tom.

Splicing weatherboard invisibly is pretty easy - Campbell kits do it all the time.  Just splice at the lap.

I think if rolled roofing is installed correctly you should get a long life out of it without leaking.  I know my old neighbour was one of the architects involved in the design of our town hall and they did a roof check 40 years after installation and found the roof to be still like new.  Here in NZ we call it butynol - I assume that's the same stuff. 

However - its always nice to make a change.

Cheers, Mark.

Oldguy

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 29, 2021, 05:21:59 PM
Looks interesting, Tom.

Splicing weatherboard invisibly is pretty easy - Campbell kits do it all the time.  Just splice at the lap.

I think if rolled roofing is installed correctly you should get a long life out of it without leaking.  I know my old neighbour was one of the architects involved in the design of our town hall and they did a roof check 40 years after installation and found the roof to be still like new.  Here in NZ we call it butynol - I assume that's the same stuff. 

However - its always nice to make a change.

Cheers, Mark.

I think you'll find that butynol is a roofing membrane product that is glued to form a complete seal.  In the US, rolled roofing normally refers to just that.  It may be hot tarred or seam heated to get them to adhere to the adjoining piece.  There was a time when it was thought that buildings could be kept cooler in the summer months, if water could be ponded on the roof and let evaporate.  But it required a impermeable roof covering system to do so.  Hence membranes.   The down side is that some systems could be peeled off during extremely high winds. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond