Fos Scale Bandit's Roost Build

Started by craftsmankits, January 05, 2021, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Coming together really nicely, Mark.

Its interesting to watch you site this complex into the scenery.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Opa George

I like it. Your placement and terrain features really highlight the structures.

--Opa George

Jerry

Very nice.  i like the way you place th buildings into the scenery.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

craftsmankits

Many thanks to Mark, Karl, Jerry and George.  Here's the building, and scenery as they appear now.  The rock has been stained, and additional vegetation added.

craftsmankits

This rather unsightly image is a portion of the road in front of Callahann Machining, and the apartments.  This will be the rock feature, that will also include a stone retaining wall that runs alongside the road.  I attached the hydrocal rocks with Woodland Scenics hot glue gun.  I don't do this often, but wanted them securely in place. 

craftsmankits

Next, I applied some of the stone retaining wall using B.E.S.T. hydrocal stones/blocks.  I applied the stones level, and not slanted up with the grade of the road.  I'm pretty sure most retaining walls going up or down hills remain 'level'.  I had to bevel the rear of the stones to fit tight through the curve, since I don't intend to use any mortar.  It's my first time attempting a stone by stone build of this nature.  I also applied some sculptamold to help secure the rocks, and along the top of the wall.  I used canopy glue to apply the individual stone blocks.

craftsmankits

Next up.  I continued the retaining wall and added some additional sculptamold.  This didn't take nearly as long as I thought.  I did have to notch out the base stones, and sometimes add small amounts of sculptamold to support them along the way.

craftsmankits

Tonight, I filled in the areas between the four rocks with hydrocal, and sculpted new rock using an exacto blade, and a soft brush to wipe away the excess.  In the background, you can see the stone retaining wall for the boiler house.  I filled in the cracks where the two walls meet.  Thankfully, I remembered to do this when addressing the rock feature.  I sometimes forget about these small things, and it bothers me to have to repeat a task.  Must be getting old.

craftsmankits

This is an overhead shot of the rock.  Will probably stain the rocks, and retaining wall this weekend.  I'll probably have to add some more foam to the end of the road, and extend the wall a few more inches.  The scenic idea, encompasses a road passing in front of the parking lot for Callahan Machining, that passes very close to the waterfront, down to the gas station, and beyond to Vallon Paint.

craftsmankits

I applied a little more hydrocal into the joint where the stone retaining wall meets the rocks.  While I could hide a portion of this with scenery material.  I may want it to stand alone, and not be so obvious that I'm hiding where they meet.  Thankfully, I'm in the mood for scenery, and diorama building.  It doesn't always work out that way.  I tend to drift between projects, and do what feels better to do at the time.  I doubt I'm alone in that line of thinking.  That's all for now.

Opa George

Quote from: craftsmankits on April 22, 2021, 11:08:22 PM
  I tend to drift between projects, and do what feels better to do at the time.

Very nice, Mark. Should look fantastic with color stain.  Yes, I do the same.  It's for relaxation, after all (and no boss to tell us what is next).

--Opa George

ReadingBob

That wall and the rock castings look great together.  Can't wait to see them stained and finished.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Zephyrus52246

Nice looking wall and rock formation.  Don't forget to tell us how you stain/paint them.   :)

Jeff

postalkarl