SRMW Retirement Build Challenge - 2021 updates

Started by tom.boyd.125, January 06, 2021, 01:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on January 09, 2021, 02:03:55 PM
Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 09, 2021, 08:09:16 AM
Groovy.

Do you prefer the plaster or the resin castings?

Jaime
Like the plaster castings more only because if I leave the resin dust on my hands too long from sanding a rash develops....sometimes have to wear non-latex gloves to work with it.
Tommy
The hazards of the hobby.

Jaime

tom.boyd.125

Thanks to...
Jaime, Curt, John and Craig for your comments...more updates coming this week since returning from a short 2 week vacation away from the bench...
One note is the email received from Bob VanGelder at SRMW ... he is no longer supporting the laser cut parts from the first 4 - 5 SRMW kits, he does not have the software files...we have one missing/misplaced part D4 that will have to be made from scratch...see the photo.  His template in this kit is full part size, so that helps. Bob did send me the missing plastic bag with the 2 outside staircase pieces and the 4 dormer pieces he had in a storage shed that was not in this box which he had extra of....THANK YOU !!!
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Some modelers assemble the entire plaster building first and then paint it, we prefer to work with the walls flat to prevent breakage and then touch up the seams if needed...( Old School )
Never use clamps here for plaster structure wall raising assembly...only large rubber bands from lessons learned in the past. Here's 2 photos showing frog tape on each side of the narrow side seams with a plaster mix added, then the second photo shows the seam fixed...then we use a craft paint called Pewter Grey which happens to be a exact match to the grey spray primer and my beige wash mentioned earlier to complete the repair. Hope this helps your builds...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

GPdemayo

Good job on the plaster corners Tom.....I love the detail in the plaster and resin kit walls, but getting the corners of brick or stone to look right can be a challenge.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

tom.boyd.125

Gregory and Curt,
Thanks for the comments. When the tape is removed from the side walls a single edge razor blade is all that is needed to clean up the narrow patch of plaster to match the stone heights of the walls, followed by that grey craft paint and beige wash. The kit still has 7 more plaster building walls to complete, besides the stone retaining walls in the kit...so here are some photos of them. All methods are the same except Krylon spray red primer is used on the brick areas.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

The two other buildings in this kit are now assembled and waiting for rafters to be installed...wood has been stained for the 3 docks to be built next...Pan Pastel color 380.3 Red Iron Oxide Shade  applied a light coat on the red surface of the bricks finished off that building...with some craft mudstone color paint added for the caps. Also doing a dry fit on the small stone rear addition...Here's the updates...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Front view of both assembled plaster buildings with roof cards attached...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Tommy,

Very nice build on this. I've always liked the SRMW kits but they are mainly New England structures. I do have the station, Reading Bob build, and Thorndike. These can fit on a southern style layout.

Again, very well done.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Enjoying the build Tom!

The only SRMW kit I've ever tackled was the Cambridge Crossing kit that Tom mentioned I built for him.  I enjoyed building that one.  I had one SRMW kit of my own but I traded it away when I realized how much space it was going to take up and me, without a layout, would have no place to store it after I built it.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on nicely, Tom.

The stone work in that kit is just beautiful.

When I was in Scranton in 2015 it was a toss up for me between this kit and Thorndikes.  Thorndikes won - but only just.

Cheers, Mark.

tom.boyd.125

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 09, 2021, 05:40:06 PM
Tommy,

Very nice build on this. I've always liked the SRMW kits but they are mainly New England structures. I do have the station, Reading Bob build, and Thorndike. These can fit on a southern style layout.

Again, very well done.

Tom  ;D
Tom,
Thanks for checking in and the comments. This is the first of 16 plus SRMW builds that will be discussed. Thorndike is on the shelf but not for a while...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 09, 2021, 07:37:17 PM
Enjoying the build Tom!

The only SRMW kit I've ever tackled was the Cambridge Crossing kit that Tom mentioned I built for him.  I enjoyed building that one.  I had one SRMW kit of my own but I traded it away when I realized how much space it was going to take up and me, without a layout, would have no place to store it after I built it.   ::)
Bob,
Thanks for the comments too. The Cambridge Crossing station will be built, and the Cambridge hotel part of that kit is near completion. It will be shown on this thread in the future.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com