SRMW Retirement Build Challenge - 2021 updates

Started by tom.boyd.125, January 06, 2021, 01:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 26, 2021, 02:06:20 PM
Tommy,

Great start on all the kits. Which one will get finished? Inquiring minds and all that.  8)

Tom  ;D
Tom,
  Sometimes we're just daunted by the task we're avoiding to start...Vilius advised me to do a little every day...
Visualize how great it will be to get it done...so looking forward to sharing this kit building journey with everyone...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

tom.boyd.125

Here's a pair of signs Karl O. did for me for this project...Craig Luck also helped change up another one too.
One new sign for the SRMW Kingston Creamery  ( for past forum member Andy Kramer ) and one new sign for the SRMW Robinson Electric from my requests.
Enjoy... More to follow soon ...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Hey those are great looking signs.

Karl

S&S RR

Tommy

I just got caught up with your thread.  Great work - you have a lot of builds to finish. I can't wait to see how they look finished up with all the details.   I love the signs.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tom.boyd.125

Thanks Karl and John for your comments.
Been two weeks since the last update, so here are some progress photos of the SRMW OV Hooker build.
Rumor has it that Dan Raymond and Sons General Contractors placed a bid on this structure.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really good, Tommy.

I like the brick colour you have used.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Your build is lookin just great. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on May 12, 2021, 05:14:21 PM
Looking really good, Tommy.

I like the brick colour you have used.

Cheers, Mark.
Mark,
Rust-Oleum red primer was used for the brick with a light use of grey Rembrant chalk for the mortar...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: postalkarl on May 12, 2021, 05:19:02 PM
Hey Tom:

Your build is lookin just great. Can't wait to see more.

Karl
Karl,
Thanks !
Here's a view with the slate shingles added now. Drew pencil lines on the cardboard to keep them straight
Other details to be added soon ...like the chimneys, vents, rear balconies, side stairs, signage, etc.
Found out that Vilius adds pieces of styrofoam under the area where the roof details go for support ... did not do that here or with Tucker & Cook ...
Will do that on future builds...that's a great tip from him...plan ahead since you cannot access that area because of the resin castings...
Tommy

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tom.boyd.125

Thank You ... John, Karl and Gregory and all the others who have viewed this thread and checked out all the posted photos.
Have not updated for a while but more will be coming shortly after the summer break.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Jerry

Tom you should have said!  Stayed tuned it just gets better and I'm sure it will.  Wonderful work!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln