Scratchbuilding Scranton - North Washington Avenue Project

Started by EricQuebec, March 21, 2021, 05:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricQuebec

Hello everybody.
I've spent the last year to build kit (FSM Bartholomew coal and SWSM loco and service shop), then I've decide that enough is enough, and time is due to make something different and return to my first love : Scratchbuilding.
Sooner this year one of us have post this pictures (I can't remenber who, but I think it's Raymo. If no, I'm apologize). I found that this pictures was very inspiring and decide to make a little dio with it. Nothing really big, jsut the three building and a pieces of road. before begining i've made a small research to found where are this building in Scranton to obtain more picture (thank you google MAP). I've finally found that's the 310-312 N Washington st. in Scranton.

As al my scratchbuild project, it's begin with a good draw, during year I've make the draw with my pencil, a rule, and a square, but since some year I use Corel draw to do it and the numerous template used to build the building. At this time the draw is not finish. In fact just the front of the building are drawing, and the template to make the first.

For this one I've planned to used MonsterModel brick sheet. to avoid to loose my stock, I've cut all the part in cardboard to test the fitting.

after what I've begin the construction of the building

And begin to add the several layer of brick.  In some place, ehere the brick isn't visible, the layer is in cardboard. Here's the avancement at this time.

Stay tuned. to be continued.
Eric

postalkarl

Hey Eric:

Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Karl

deemery

I love Victorian city structures, and I want to see how you do this one!  Great choice!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

EricQuebec

Quote from: postalkarl on March 21, 2021, 05:20:38 PM
Hey Eric:

Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Karl
Thank to follow Karl.
Eric

EricQuebec

Quote from: deemery on March 21, 2021, 05:45:01 PM
I love Victorian city structures, and I want to see how you do this one!  Great choice!

dave
Thank you Dave :)
Eric

postalkarl

Hey Eric:

You are quite welcome. Can't wait to see more of this.

Karl

Raymo

Eric, great looking project and Yes, it was my photo. I took it at the Scranton EXPO when Brian Bollinger snuck out for lunch. Glad you found the location on Google.

ReadingBob

Great idea for a project!  I can't wait to see how this one turns out.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Neat store fronts and structures Eric.....I'l be looking in this one for sure.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jerry

Looks like your off to a good start.  I'll be following along.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

EricQuebec

thank you Jerry, Raymo, Gregory and Bob for your interest about this project.
I much appreciate it.
Eric

ACL1504

Eric,

What a great little scratch build. Well, maybe not little but a great start.

I'm on the band wagon for sure..

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

EricQuebec

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 22, 2021, 06:44:59 PM
Eric,

What a great little scratch build. Well, maybe not little but a great start.

I'm on the band wagon for sure..

Tom  ;D
Thank you Tom :)
Eric

EricQuebec

Hello Everybody.
Lot of progress on this project this week.
First I've build the 2 layer brick triangular top of the building. For all the piece of this building I've used the same technic : A template print on white paper, glue on the support (in this case the Monstermodel the 1/32 baswood birck sheet) and cut the pieces following the very fine line of the draw. After what I remove the paper by wetting it.

With the corel Draw Software, the template is 100% accurancy and at scale (imagine I draw with 0.1 scale inch of precision). This software has totally change my method of doing scratchbuild model.
Then all the effort of the week are done on the Bay window.  Here's some uncommented step by step pictures

to be continued (1/2)

EricQuebec

(2/2)
and finally the window bay is finished

The last step for today was to test the fitting of the window bay with the rest of the building.

Fit perfectly... very happy with that :)
stay tuned... to be continued next week.
Eric