Scratchbuilding Scranton - North Washington Avenue Project

Started by EricQuebec, March 21, 2021, 05:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Eric your hitting the ball right out of the park with this thread, beautiful workmanship.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Eric:

How far to the right are you going to go on the prototype photo?

Karl

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ACL1504

Eric,

The build is simply amazing. You have set the bar very high for scratch builds. Extremely well done.

Tom   ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

EricQuebec

Thank you very much Karl, Jerry, Oldguy and Tom for your good comments.
Karl : I've planned to make a total of three Building. SO the last one will be the one in stone with the fire escape on front.
Eric.

postalkarl

Hey Eric:

You are quite welcome. sounds good Eric. I will be following along with much interest.

Karl

EricQuebec

hello Everybody,
Nothing really spectacular thos week on this project.
I've begin the week by finishing the roof of the first buliding. I've cover it with my homemade tar paper. Then, i've build a small chimney (it consist of a piece of 12x16 scale lumber, cover on each side with monstermodelworck 1/32 brick sheet). À little bit tedious to do but great result.

After what I've spent a large part of the week working with Corel Draw to make the draw and template for the second building. Actually the draw and template are not all ready, but i,ve begin to work on the seconde building by starting the store front. Here 3 pictures to illustrate the different step to make it.

That,s all for today.. Hope to have more to show next week.
Stay tuned... to be continued.
Eric

nycjeff

Hello Eric, it just keeps getting better. Great job on the roof and chimney.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

EricQuebec

Quote from: nycjeff on May 03, 2021, 12:13:10 AM
Hello Eric, it just keeps getting better. Great job on the roof and chimney.   Jeff
Thank you Jeff
Eric

EricQuebec

Hello Everybody,
More progress than last week on this project, and lot of show.
First, I've finished the storefront. In fact, I must just scratchbuild a door for the entrance of the shop (that will be do later), I 've assemble the Tichy door (the model selected for this project is the 48" door and iron  shutter  and I've  used the Iron shutter as side of the door tp creat a recessed door) . and paint all the storefront In burgundy.

Then I've made a small hall with stair to go on the upper floor of the building. The stair is a remaining part of the NESM tenenment row kit,

ANd clue this part just behind the recessed door

Here's the final result, very hard to take a pictures, but in real life, this details ad a lot.

Once the storefront is completed, I've working on the front face of the building, this one is a two story building with an half irregular hexagonal baywindow. In this one I've choos to change it a litle bit from the original. It will be a brick  cover building rather than stone cover building. I've cut the base of the wall on cardboard and the brick material is forn Monstermodelword=k (1/16 thick old brick sheet. I like this stock so much...).

to be continued (1/2)

EricQuebec

FOr the cornice, i've decide to modify it too, and use the brick cornice from Monstermodelwork. (in fact, this product of this company has my motivated a lot to do this project... sorry for the product placement, it will be the last)

Then I've assemble all the part together, and glue some cinder lintel on top of the window.Note that for this, I've decide to treat the frame window  like maconerie window.SO I've cut the opening on the brick sheet materail more large than in the cardboard support.

At this moment, the wall primed with oxide red color. And have two option for the fianl color : Natural reddish and brown brick, or paint the wall the same color as the bay window, something like unbleached titanium white. Your opinion ?
The last task this week was to begin the half hexagonal irregular bay window (it,s an irregular hexagone due to the fact that  it's not draw in a circle, and have all the 6 side the same length, but in a draw in a rectangle, and have two side more longer than the 4 other).
I've prepar all the part an begin to assemble it.

That's all all for today.
feel free to comment, and thank you for watching.
To be continued (2/2)
Eric

deemery

I love how this looks.  And I would go for the 'concrete/stucco' look (Titanium White).  That adds more contrast with the brick walls. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Eric.

The stairwell looks great.

I'm thinking I would go with the red/brown brick because you still get to add mortar to differentiate the bricks.  An option would be to do the wall as if it had been built from second hand bricks - some of which had come from a previously painted white building.  You could then have both white and red/brown.  In this way you could still add mortar.  I've seen this in the prototype and it looks pretty cool, but there would be a fair bit of picking out individual bricks with a small paint brush.

Cheers, Mark.

EricQuebec

Quote from: deemery on May 09, 2021, 05:06:38 PM
I love how this looks.  And I would go for the 'concrete/stucco' look (Titanium White).  That adds more contrast with the brick walls. 

dave
Thank you for watching Dave.
At the begin of the project, I've planned to paint this building in titanium white. But, as you said, paint the brick in reddish-brown, will offer more contrast...
Eric

EricQuebec

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on May 09, 2021, 05:09:36 PM
Looking good, Eric.

The stairwell looks great.

I'm thinking I would go with the red/brown brick because you still get to add mortar to differentiate the bricks.  An option would be to do the wall as if it had been built from second hand bricks - some of which had come from a previously painted white building.  You could then have both white and red/brown.  In this way you could still add mortar.  I've seen this in the prototype and it looks pretty cool, but there would be a fair bit of picking out individual bricks with a small paint brush.

Cheers, Mark.
Thank you Mark for you comment.
Nice idea to add two color brick... I will thinking about a little bit, and maybe make a test.
Eric