Jon H Olson Chemical Co DBA Skeeter's Fly Dope

Started by Jim Donovan, March 23, 2021, 09:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

S&S RR

Jim

Love the interior detail and lighting - it really gives the model another dimension.  I use photographs to check my work and you are really doing a great job on this.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

Looking fantastic, Jim.

Really enjoying this build coming together.

Cheers, Mark.

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Jerry on June 23, 2021, 01:48:07 PM
What a great build!!

Jerry
Thanks Jerry glad you are liking it. Trying to push myself on this one.

Jim
Holland & Odessa Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

where did you find that Ambler Asbestos add. I was born and raised there and lived there for most of my life.  the K&M asbestos co. was the  (Keasby  & Mattison Co.). We had lots of asbestos waste piles around town. We called them the White mountains. They have all been removed. The Shingle Plant was behind the Ambler RR Station. It was torn down about A year ago. The main factory building has been turned into quite A lovely office building. Anyway that's A neat sign. There are plenty of buildings in Ambler and surrounding towns with those shingles on the roofs and sidewalls. By-the-way there are two Amblers in the us. The other is in Alaska.

Karl

Karl

Jim Donovan

Quote from: postalkarl on June 26, 2021, 08:55:11 PM
Hey Jim:

where did you find that Ambler Asbestos add. I was born and raised there and lived there for most of my life.  the K&M asbestos co. was the  (Keasby  & Mattison Co.). We had lots of asbestos waste piles around town. We called them the White mountains. They have all been removed. The Shingle Plant was behind the Ambler RR Station. It was torn down about A year ago. The main factory building has been turned into quite A lovely office building. Anyway that's A neat sign. There are plenty of buildings in Ambler and surrounding towns with those shingles on the roofs and sidewalls. By-the-way there are two Amblers in the us. The other is in Alaska.

Karl

Hi Karl;

Thanks for following along . Amazing you know about that factory, it is a small world. I found the catalog along with an incredible treasure trove of building information at: https://archive.org/details/buildingtechnologyheritagelibrary

They have collected over 10,000 catalogs of building suppliers prior to 1964. I have only scratched the surface of this resource.

Jim D

postalkarl

deemery

My late brother (the carpenter) would have loved that cache of old building catalogs!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

tom.boyd.125

Jim,
Your build came out great.
Those storage tanks are really neat.
Nice photos !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Jim Donovan

It has been some time since I last posted but I have been learning and spending time on the next part of the complex, the steam pump house. First, thanks everyone for the nice comments on how the first part came out. Since finishing it I of course came up with a bunch of things I would change but time to work on part two.

The original Skeeter's steam pump house was made out of wood. I plan for my version to use brick and be enlarged so an interior can be viewed. Here is what the original looked like for reference.

More in a minute.

Jim Donovan

Monster Modeling came out with a 1/32 inch version of their successful laser cut brick, it looks amazing. Since I want the brick to be seen on both the outer and inner wall I need to create a 'sandwich' with the 1/32 basswood laser brick glued to to 1/16 inch plywood for the two sides.

Monster Modeling makes laser cut brick columns for their sheets but they come in 1/8 inch square. Because the 'sandwich' ends up being a little over 1/8 inch thick (glue and expansion) the two end walls needed to have the sandwich material adjusted. Instead of birchwood plywood I used two sheets of heavy cardstock to create the needed thickness and allow the corner columns to hopefully be flush with the siding when glued together. The math says it should work and the test fit looks promising.

I used Elmers Wood Glue (yellow) when combining the three panels together to make each wall. The wood glue won't give way when the wood gets wet in future processing. By using material no thicker then 1/16 inch thick I was able to design the walls using Silhouette Designer and precision cut them using the Cricut Printer. While I like the precision the Cricut gives I did have issues getting a good clean cut, twice it slipped while cutting, ruining the wall. This step could most likely have been done simply by making a template and carefully cutting the wood to shape.

The design I settled on reminds me of the old steam power stations I have seen with the massive arch windows that tilt open to help ventilate the building as well as light the interior.

To get the wanted 3 arch windows per side I ended up adding about 12 scale feet to the length of the building. I kept the width and height the same as the original design.

So here is a first look of the result. As you see I am making the arch windows large enough that a great deal will be visible (I hope) when completed.

More in a few.

Jim Donovan

What I have spent much time on is learning to use Tinkercad for making 3D parts, such as windows, that are unique and more realistic than those I have made using 2D cutters like Cricut Maker. If you would like to learn more about Tinkercad here is the link:

https://www.tinkercad.com/

After much trial and error I designed arch style windows having three tilting panels consisting of 3 pane eachs. It is designed to look like concrete and will be slightly extended from the surrounding brick. The lower sill extends approximately a scale foot from the wall. Here is a screenshot of the final master Tinkercad design file:

You can see each window is actually made up of the master window with necessary cut outs, three tilt panels and finally a backplate that when glued in place will lock the windows into the arch frame. Finally there will be three glass panels attached to the tilt window frames and an upper glass panel for the fixed panes. Here is the first prototype without glass installed:

Jim Donovan

I am becoming more comfortable with the design program as well as the 3D Photon S printer. However I can not tell you how many windows were made, found unacceptable and thrown away. Two bottles of resin worth. For those curious here is how the production version of the window parts looked when first made:

Once made they are detached from the platten, cut from the support bracing, sanded (where bracing was) and then painted as normal.

Here is a photo of final test fit of windows in the cut brick siding:

Hopefully it won't be another two months before I can report progress but thanks for checking in.