Clearfield Cheese Clinton Mo

Started by Oldguy, April 01, 2021, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Structure is looking just great. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Oldguy

I've gotten to the point where i need to develop the various signs needed.  I was good with my old Office stuff, but had to switch to Office 10 (or whatever) and I am struggling.  In the mean time i worked a bit on the front canopy posts.  The prototype has a canopy that included the lower part of the exterior staircase enclosure.  I thought it would look a bit better to have the main canopy be above a bit and over the lower staircase portion.  All for visual interest.  But that didn't look as good in person as it did in my head.  So, I had to remove some of the installed rolled roofing off to allow for rolled roofing over the entire canopy.  My little bit of foundation also forms the front concrete walkway.  I cut the posts from some bras tubing which I painted black.  Now how to put it all together.  I drilled out the holes for the posts, but added a piece of wood underneath the plastic and even with the front of it.  Then it was a matter of adding some tape to the bottom to cover the holes.  I added some medium ACC stuck in the posts and then aligned the post tops with the holes in the wood.  Made holding the pieces in parallel and straight up and down.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

nycjeff

Hello Bob, I really like how the roof is coming together. We don't see many of that type of roof here on the forum and you are doing a great job explaining how you are doing it.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

Oldguy

Well Jeff, I can understand why.  These bowstring truss roofs where somewhat common here in the Midwest back in the day.

I finally managed to get a corporate logo that I liked and installed.  I fiddled with an "Office" sign for the main door, but it doesn't really show.

The cardboard that I used for the roof deck holds it shape really well,  I curved it a week or so ago and it held up.  Got it glued down.  I like the transfer tape and got lucky that two wide rows and on middle width row fir perfectly.  I added rolled roofing and glued the joints down.  Hopefully it'll all show up once the glue has dried and the roof is sprayed painted white.  It'll all make sense once I remember to take photos.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

nycjeff

Hello Bob, great job on the roof so far, can't wait to see the finished product.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

Oldguy

So, I got the roof done.  Not 100% to my liking, but it will work.  I hope.  My grand plan was to replicate the tar-joints with Elmers Cement.  The form about a foot above the surface, spray paint onto the roof, letting some of the black paper to show through.  But the cement came out a pure white giving the roof somewhat of a zebra look.  I should have tried tinting the glue with some black paint.  Oh well.  Live and learn.

I have been slowly working on the warehouse/dock building.  The main part will have a raised "cement" floor with three dock doors.  Two will be for rail and one for trucks.  And yes, I hate wasting time for glue to dry, so I am building a couple of IMEX mobile homes that I managed to snag online.   That "concrete" foundation was the second iteration.  I plan on trying Foscale's technique to show impressions of old concrete form boards using masking tape and thick paint. 

There will be another attached building on the far end.  Cutting openings in the Monster Modelworks brick sheets is a royal pain.  It takes a lot of effort to get windows opening the correct size and look have way decent.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Jerry

Bob that is coming along very nicely.  Great job on that roof!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Joe

Hey Bob,

Personally, I think your model looks terrific.  We are always the hardest on our own work.  I have been silently following along, I like seeing modelers tackle big projects like this.  Joe

Oldguy

The foundation walls are poured concrete and I wanted to have the "squeeze outs" showing, but wasn't quite sure how to do it.  Then I came across a Doug Foscale video where he did just that.  Whereas he uses a strip of tape and moved it, I thought I needed to have the wall covered in masking in masking tape and then remove each bit as I came to it.  So I started to cut strips to apply to the wall and thought, that is stupid.  Just add the tape to the wall and cut it there.  And if one strip of tape is good, then more should be better,  So I settled on three layers.  I used a piece of scale 10" inch wide stripwood to cut the horizontal lines and then cut the verticals every ten scale feet.
I just used some gray craft paint to brush it on along a tape strip.  Worked my way down the wall.  I'll admit I got a bit messy, hoping that some of the slop wouldn't show, but it did.  But over, it kinda worked.  I need to work on the technique so as to minimize the slop beyond the tape edge.

As it stands now, the wall was sprayed with gray primer.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

It seems that I haven't kept this thread up to date.

With the production bldg done, except for some piping, and the same for the shipping/receiving building mostly completed, I needed to get a base to house all the building sections.  My material of choice is 1/2"foam core board.  From the prototype photos, there appears to be some amount of courtyard and a structure to get product/materials to and from each building.  It'll be some sort of transition building made up of B&B siding.  I'd love to have used some brick patterned felt paper, but, I have only one sheet, from way back when and it's the wrong color for here.

With there being a courtyard, I need some sort of drainage system to get rid of all that model rain that my fall.  I tried not to go through all this, but I just couldn't let it go.  I outlined the building placement to determine open space size.  It also formed the outline for the middle structure foundation.  I cut out where the drains will go.  Initially, I was going to add just one catchment, but that wasn't going to work out.  These are made from plastic with a lip for the "pavement" made out of 1/8" foam board.  Each catchment is covered in brass screen for a grate.  These were protected by tape during painting.

I used scrap 1/8" foam for corner supports.  Once all pieces were, installed, I gave the area hit of gray primer and weathered the area.  What I didn't show was the addition of static grass and fine foam in some of the cracks.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

There was a steam line(?) that ran between the tow main buildings, so that took some time to fabricobble that bit.

The shipping/receiving building will get several vent stacks and make-up air vents, but as of now, all buildings have been glued on to the base.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

tom.boyd.125

Bob,
Looking very nice !!!
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

Oldguy

Thanks Karl and Tommy.  I calling it "done fer now".  It needs some weathering from top to bottom besides track and scenery.  But that'll wait until it gets planted'

Time to move on.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

deemery

This is a very interesting structure, you've done a great job with it.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to