CCK Rowhouse on Concord Street - 2021 Build Challenge (Part Deux)

Started by ReadingBob, April 14, 2021, 04:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

I have just enough time to squeeze another build into the Build Challenge.   ;D

This is one I picked up at the EXPO in Altoona a few years back.  It's the Carolina Craftsman Kit Rowhouse on Concord Street.

Lot's of little goodies in the bag.  Let's start with the paper stuff like the roofing material, view block, etc.

Then onto the door, window and chimney castings.

Lot's of strip wood and walls for a little structure such as this.

I started by removing the castings from the sprues using a sprue cutter.

Then I smoothed the edges off with a quick swipe of an emery board.

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

I laid out the stuff that I wanted to paint on some painters tape that was taped sticky side up on a baking sheet.  For primer I used a rattle can gray.  For the finish color I airbrushed them with Floquil UP Armor Yellow.

I squared up the edge of the walls by running them over an emery board a few times to remove that slight angle that the laser cutter gives them.

On to bracing the walls.  A thin bead of glue on the bracing material.

Then I spread the glue using my finger tip.  I make sure to wipe off my finger tip before handling anything so I don't transfer glue to the surface of something else.

Put the bracing in place and then weigh it down for a few minutes until the glue grabs.

Then I cut it fit using a single edge razor blade.

More in a moment... :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Going for an old and worn look on this one so I attacked the walls with one of my favorite tools, a welders pipe brush from Home Depot.

Then I stained the walls with Hunterline Light Gray Weathering Mix.

The inside of the walls got a coat of black craft store acrylic paint because I'm going to light this one up.

Cuz it was still on my workbench from building Moscone's I used the same Light Avocado for the primary wall color.

I first dabbed the walls, doors and windows with a sponge that was dipped in Dove Gray and then had most of the paint removed. 

I repeated the 'dry sponging' using Khaki.

More in a moment.... :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Old and decrepit - gotta have nail holes.  Sorry.   ;D  Added them with my trusty ponce wheel and steel ruler.

More distressing.  This time lifting some of the clapboards with a chisel blade in an X-Acto knife handle.

Another coat of the Hunterline to fill in the nail holes and blend things together.

Then a drybrushing of the windows, doors and walls with a craft store acrylic Ivory White.

Glazing was added to the doors and windows using MicroScale Industries Krystal Klear.  Just draw a little bit across the opening to create a thin file and it dries clear.

Then I added the corner trim (painted the same color as the doors and windows and weathered the same way).

More in a moment.... ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

After the windows and doors where glued in place I added shades using piece of paper I painted with Floquil Depot Buff which I then cut into strips and finally small pieces.

A little glue around the sides and top of the windows, inside of course, to hold the shades in place.

Tweezers come in handy even for this step.

And finally a completed wall. 

Gluing the walls together and trying to keep everything nice and square.

Then I added some rafters to the underside of the porch roof.  Spaced roughly 2' apart.

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

All of the roof cards then had 3M Transfer Tape applied to them to make adding the rolled roofing easier.

Trimmed to fit after being applied.

For the foundation I decide to try something Jim Miller gave me several years ago.  It's supposed to be a peel and stick brick material.

I made a foundation out of strip wood and cut a strip of the peel "but it's so old it no longer sticks" brick material the same width as the height of the foundation.

I glued the brick material in place and clamped it between some strip wood until the glue set.

After gluing the foundation in place I checked for light leaks using a little flashlight.  I used my pitch material (Elmers White Glue mixed with Polly Scale Grimy Black to seal the deal.

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Not a good picture but I build a little core that fits inside the structure to hold the LED's and what not.

Oops..the front and rear roof cards were too long.  A quick and easy fix for that.  I simply trimmed them to fit.

I peeled off the backing for the transfer tape and then applied my rolled roofing.  Instead of using what was included in the kit I used some sandpaper that I had previously painted and cut into 3' wide strips.

Skipping ahead to the finish line (because I forgot to take a few pictures while building the porch)....

Last post in a moment.... ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

This is a neat little kit for sure.   8)

That's it.  I'm done!   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

deemery

Great idea to seal walls with "glue pitch", I'll have to mix some of that for myself, and to use a penlight for light leaks.  I found a couple of those today when cleaning the home office. 

For brick paper on foundation, transfer tape works well... 

From your observation of PA anthracite towns, what's the likely roofing on these structures? 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

EricQuebec

craftsmankits

BandOGuy

Bob,
Thanks for the very timely step-by-step post. Just got a CCK building in the mail Saturday. Your patience should vastly improve my final product.
Thanks in advance.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: deemery on April 14, 2021, 04:48:42 PM
Great idea to seal walls with "glue pitch", I'll have to mix some of that for myself, and to use a penlight for light leaks.  I found a couple of those today when cleaning the home office. 

For brick paper on foundation, transfer tape works well... 

From your observation of PA anthracite towns, what's the likely roofing on these structures? 

dave

Thanks Dave.  The "glue pitch" idea came about as a matter of convenience.  I was trying to figure out how to seal a small leak and noticed the bottle of pitch I keep on my workbench for use around chimney's, vents and what not.   ;)

I think the most likely roofing on these structures would be shingles on the steeper pitched main roof and rolled roofing on the porch and rear extension where the pitch isn't quite as steep.   
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net