FSM Crocker Bros Feed Mill

Started by SteveCuster, April 21, 2021, 07:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Excellent work!!

Steve any special brand of auto primer??

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks Steve and Jerry

I use Rustoleum spray paint for almost everything. The only reason is I bought a bag of replacement spray caps that only fit Rustoleum female connections. I always have problems with cans clogging so now I just throw out the tip when it clogs and replace it.
Steve Custer

nycjeff

Hello Steve, you are doing a wonderful job on your feed mill, can't wait to see it planted on your layout, it is going to make a great scene.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

Erieman

Quote from: SteveCuster on May 19, 2021, 10:11:40 AM
Thanks Steve and Jerry

I use Rustoleum spray paint for almost everything. The only reason is I bought a bag of replacement spray caps that only fit Rustoleum female connections. I always have problems with cans clogging so now I just throw out the tip when it clogs and replace it.

Steve,

I have had similar problems with Krylon spray caps. Where did you find a bag of replacement caps?

Frank / Erieman

SteveCuster

Frank, The ones I found go by "Rusto Fat Caps" on Amazon or Ebay. They have a few that come in different tips but I had the best luck with the fat caps. I use the Krylon Camo paint a lot with the blue tip and they generally stay clear longer but it's still really rare that I can empty a whole can before I clog the tip.

I've tried everything to keep the tips clear but nothing seems to work except just replacing them. I do throw all my tips in a glass jar full of spirits and that seems to keep them a little longer.

Here's a link to one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253281950916?hash=item3af8c7dcc4:g:INIAAOSwX5hdvHG-

50 tips for $9.95

They probably have ones available for the Krylon cans as well I just haven't looked into it. All these different caps are under "Graffiti Art".
Steve Custer

Keep It Rusty

More great work here, Steve. I need to get back into an FSM build soon...

SteveCuster

Thanks Craig. They are always fun kits for sure.

Small update today..

I started working on the track placement and the rear covered section over the tracks. The placement of this structure on the layout is really close to the mountain behind it so I had to but the vertical support almost over the edge of the base. This area will be very hard to see once installed on the layout.

I also added the ground cover under the covered area also under the rear decking. I glued the decking in place..the 2 paints are just holding it down while it dries.

Coal shed is also glued in place.

I started adding the horizontal supports.

The FSM plans had me using plaster to build up the coal pile in the shed. I chose to use a piece of foam instead- much cleaner and easier.

I painted the foam piece black and sprinkled "coal" on it. Once that dried I added more and secured it with thinned glue, same as I would do with scenery. I added a bit more coal than I would've liked but I'm going to go with it anyway.

I prefer to use cinders instead of coal for coal piles. To me scale coal always looks weird due to the glassy properties of it. Just a personal preference.

Steve Custer

postalkarl

hey Steve:

Looking just beautiful so far. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

ACL1504

Steve,

Crocker's is turning out very nice. Love the weathering. I've used the shiny coal in the past in my brass loco tenders. After it has dried, I spray on a light coat of Model Master Dull/Flat. Turns out looking quite natural.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

SteveCuster

Thanks Karl, Thanks Tom.

Tom, I'll try to dullcoat over the coal and see how it looks.

I added the roofing to the shed and the overhang.

The roof is made of individual boards which is nice because I wanted to use tissue paper to simulate a pretty worn roof.

I added the tar paper. I didn't go crazy weathering or detailing this roof due to the fact it will be very difficult to see once installed on the layout.

The coal shed roof was done the same way.

The front of the shed. I'll still be adding some junk and birds or something to the roof yet...looks very plain.

I stained all the wood for the storage shed and fence today. Hopefully I'll start getting that together tomorrow.
Steve Custer

S&S RR

Steve

I just got caught up with your build thread.  Beautiful work - as always thank you for sharing it with us.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

That's one of finest non weathering roofs I've seen in a long time!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Wow it sure is looking just great.

Karl

SteveCuster

Steve Custer