FSM Crocker Bros Feed Mill

Started by SteveCuster, April 21, 2021, 07:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Nice weathering on those walls.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

Small update today.

The elevator is glued in place. It was colored and weathered the same was as the main walls of course.

I added the little cupola to the top of the roof as well.

I started working out the roof but I got sidetracked cleaning my workshop/layout room. That's all for now.
Steve Custer

fsmcollector67

Lookin good Steve.....

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Joe

Great work.  This for me was the kit that made me want to build models, it still holds up after many years.

ACL1504

Steve,

I still have this one in my stash of kits and plan to build mine as a chair factory. This kit has lots to add for wood storage and lumber delivery.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

SteveCuster

Thanks Loren, Joe and Tom.

Joe, It's really one of the first kits that has it all. It's a pretty big diorama, lots of castings and everything is high quality especially for the time. This one really shows where George was headed in the future.

Tom, the kit would fit many industries well. I like the idea of a chair factory. I'm not sure if I'll change the industry or not on this one. I thought about a barrel factory due to the fact I have about 1000 wooden barrel castings I could use.

Not much to update yet, started working on the roofing and adding the rafter tails. Not interesting enough for a picture yet.
Steve Custer

tom.boyd.125

Steve,
Great work coloring those walls and castings !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Looking just beautiful. Coloring looks just great.

Karl

SteveCuster

Thanks Tom and Karl.

I made some progress on the roof. I ended up going with a standing seam roof instead of the campbells shingles provided with the kit.

I colored the roofing with gray spray paint followed by some brown and tan chalks. I still need to add some rust streaks but I'll wait until I have all the chimneys and stacks in place.

I started building the loading docks and working on some signage for the building. I'm thinking I'm probably going to add a roof sign to the side of the roof that has the pipe for the dust cyclone.

That's all for now..more updates coming.
Steve Custer

Jerry

Great choice for the roof Steve.  And a really nice start with coloring!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks Jerry!

I managed to get some more work done on the kit last night.

I felt like the roof was a little bit boring and plain so I moved the sign to the roof to break it up.

Then I felt like the area above the loading dock door was too plain so I added a little roof and some vents. I don't remember where the casting on the left is from but the one on the right is from FSM...maybe a different kit though.

I also started to put together the little coal shed. This kit comes with 2 outbuilding sheds that I wanted to build prior to figuring out the main structure placement.

That's all for now...

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on really nicely, Steve.

Cheers, Mark.

John B

Great work. I really like the roof. Would you mind telling me what to used to achieve this look.  Thanks

SteveCuster

Thanks Mark and John

John, For the roof I first sprayed light gray auto primer on metal roof material from Northeastern then I used darker rust colored chalk dust mixed with alcohol to "paint" vertically up and down the roof. After the chalk dried I used a stiff brush to blend all the chalk together and I added some other colors (a little gray, some other browns). The main color chalk is Rembrandt 408.3. I used a razor blade in a scraping motion across the stick to create the dust.

Steve Custer

sdrees

this is coming along very nice Steve
Steve Drees
SP RR