priming metal details....

Started by fsmcollector67, April 28, 2021, 08:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsmcollector67

Hey All,
I have a stupid question to ask. What is the best way to clean, and prime metal details. No matter if i tried dish soap, or alcohol, and than did not touch the casting, sprayed with 2 light coats primer, and dried for several days, I still sometimes on edges get the metal coming through when handling to paint.
Any thoughts, or better ways would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

Loren....
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Keep It Rusty

Best way to combat this is simply avoid handling the casting at all. Use a painting stick, toothpick or even a piece of cardboard to hold your castings while you paint.

After it's all done, mist the castings with a flat varnish like Testor's Dullcote and then you can hand-ball the castings from there.

fsmcollector67

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on April 28, 2021, 08:27:13 PM
Best way to combat this is simply avoid handling the casting at all. Use a painting stick, toothpick or even a piece of cardboard to hold your castings while you paint.

After it's all done, mist the castings with a flat varnish like Testor's Dullcote and then you can hand-ball the castings from there.
Craig,
I have done that in the past for figures, guess I will have to resort to that here, and drill a little hole for some .012 wire.....

thanks....
9 Fingers Loren.....

MartyO

Just suggestion ...

Clean metal with Acetone, prime with urethane primer or enamel or oil based primer. They stick to metal much better.
Marty

S&S RR

I drill holes and mount all my metal castings on toothpicks.  For the real small castings I use a popsicle stick and glue the castings to the stick.  I try not to handle them. Acrylic paints are just not as durable as the stuff that smells bad. Our models are to look at not to touch. A don't touch policy really helps when you like to use a lot of chalks, too.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey All:

I just take em out of the box and paint em. I never seem to have a problem

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: fsmcollector67 on April 28, 2021, 08:04:04 PM
Hey All,
I have a stupid question to ask. What is the best way to clean, and prime metal details. No matter if i tried dish soap, or alcohol, and than did not touch the casting, sprayed with 2 light coats primer, and dried for several days, I still sometimes on edges get the metal coming through when handling to paint.
Any thoughts, or better ways would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

Loren....
Have that same issue here since switching over to the Khaki Camouflage Spray Paint by Rust-Oleum as the primer for all the metal castings . Still clean the castings the same way as years ago with rubbing Alcohol when we were using an airbrush applying Earth Floquil paint thinned with Dio-Sol back in the day.  Yes just see the edges of the bare metal castings too now...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ReadingBob

Good information....I'm still using Floquil which is pretty bullet proof once it cures for a few days.  Alas, the Floquil won't last forever.  I was planning on switching to Model Masters Enamels at some point but Testors discontinued that line as well.   :( 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

SteveCuster

I don't wash my castings before I prime them. I use either Rustoleum or Krylon Khaki for anything wood based and I usually let them dry overnight. After they dry I stick them to a tongue depressor with double sided carpet tape so I don't have to handle them and it's easier to paint.

The only parts I usually have a problem with paint getting rubbed off is cast metal stone walls due to the fact they need to be handled quite a bit while I'm working on the structure.

Also..I blacken all the parts that represent metal before I paint them so I really don't worry about paint rubbing off. In fact I usually want that effect especially drums or tanks. Prior to blackening I do wash the castings in rubbing alcohol and that helps the blackening to cover the whole casting.
Steve Custer

deemery

I like to soak metal castings in a solution of dishwasher soap, water and vinegar.  The idea is that the vinegar etches them a bit for better adhesion.  Then I use my airbrush to prime them.  I've had the best luck lately with the Badger Stynelrenz primers:  http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Stynylrez.asp   The only issue I have with these is the GawdAwful name that I can never spell correctly!! 

Floquil primer is still the best, if you have the primer, the solvent AND a good outside-venting spray booth. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

fsmcollector67

Thanks to everyone who replied. Will have to try a little of each, to see what works best for me.....
9 Fingers Loren.....

vinceg

Quote from: SteveCuster on April 29, 2021, 10:59:08 AM
I don't wash my castings before I prime them. I use either Rustoleum or Krylon Khaki for anything wood based and I usually let them dry overnight. After they dry I stick them to a tongue depressor with double sided carpet tape so I don't have to handle them and it's easier to paint.

The only parts I usually have a problem with paint getting rubbed off is cast metal stone walls due to the fact they need to be handled quite a bit while I'm working on the structure.

Also..I blacken all the parts that represent metal before I paint them so I really don't worry about paint rubbing off. In fact I usually want that effect especially drums or tanks. Prior to blackening I do wash the castings in rubbing alcohol and that helps the blackening to cover the whole casting.

Ditto on all of that...especially the blackening of metal parts that represent metal details. I find that it is frequently the case that an external air duct or pipe or garbage can looks pretty good with some blackening and a little buffing with a Q-tip without much other treatment. Except some rust chalk, of course. Always gotta have rust.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee