Two small FOS builds

Started by nycjeff, May 07, 2021, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Well, since I just finished a large scratch-build structure, I wanted to downsize a little, so I ordered two small kits from FOS. Actually I ordered one kit and the other was free- how cool is that ! As an aside, I just passed 925 pictures in My Gallery.

Here are the kits. Bud's Gas and Bait, which I ordered and Jimmy Kings BBQ which was free. Both are small kits, which I appreciated since, as I said, I just finished a large complicated scratch-build.

I decided to go with the free kit- Jimmy King's BBQ first. Here are the kit's contents laid out. There are no instructions with the free kit, but it is fairly straight forward.

Here are the braced walls. I usually use 1/8 square strip-wood for my bracing, but since the walls were so small I used some 3/ 32 instead.

The walls were sprayed with rattle can dark grey primer first and then dry brushed with a khaki color craft paint and finally a brown color. One wall is not wood- it is a pressboard material, but that wall is completely covered with a sign as shown.

Jumping ahead, here is the assembled building. The signs make this kit and as always the signs in a FOS kit do not disappoint. I painted the supplied base with a dark grey color for concrete and I used the provided roofing paper for the roll-roofing. I first sprayed it with rattle can camo with a green tine and then cut it into 3/8 wide strips.  The roof cards that were supplied with the kit were a little thick so I set them aside and cut some of my own from cardboard from the back of a yellow legal pad. The kit's pictures show the pig sign on one of the walls, but I decided to make it a roof-top sign using some more of the 3/32 strip-wood for the sign support. I also used one of the doors from my Tichy stash instead of the one supplied with the kit.

The kit came with a nice metal chimney, but I decided that the smoker in the side structure needed a large round vent pipe. The smaller roof vent is a plumbing vent in the back corner of the larger part of the building. More in a minute

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

Continuing on...

A view of the rear walls. I didn't do much here as this part of the kit will not be visible on my layout. 

Another front view. The barrel came with one of the FOS kits. The figures came from my unpainted little people stash.

A roof view. I used a little weathering chalk color on the roll-roofing to highlight the seams.

Another drone view.

This is where the building will live on the layout. I still have some track ballast work to do in this area as well as more ground cover work. I think a small dirt parking area would look good next to the building. So this is it for this small build for now, it was a fun little build with a lot of character, as all of the FOS kits have. That's it for now, more later.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Next up in my two small FOS builds is Bud's Gas and Bait. ACL Tom did an excellent build thread of this kit on the forum which I consulted while doing my build.

Here are the contents of the bag. There was only one problem with the materials provided. The white rectangular piece at the bottom of the picture is supposed to be slightly larger than the brown rectangular piece. This was only a minor inconvenience as I had some thin styrene in my stash that I cut to the correct size.

Here is the floating dock. I used the strip-wood provided in the kit and weathered it with several color chalks.

The kit comes with enough material for two small shacks- here is the one that I built. I braced the walls with 3/32 strip-wood, sprayed them with rattle can dark grey primer and then dry-brushed them with brown craft paint. I used red for my trim color on the corners and the door and windows.

Instead of the second shack on the dock, I decided to build an open air customer area. Here is the drawing that I used to build the walls for this kit-bash. I used 3/32 strip-wood for the framing and 2x4 wood for the ends of the long wall to solidify it and give me a gluing surface when assembling the walls.

Here is the assembled customer area. I used 2x6 boards for the exterior wall surfaces and 2x6's for the tops of the short walls.

Here is a rear view of the assembled structure. I used the provided paper roofing material for the metal roof. The tall sign structure is part of the kit and it went together easily using the template that came with the kit. More in a minute
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Continuing on...

Here is the front view of the assembled building. I followed the kit instructions for painting the roof sign with the stencil. It didn't come out perfectly, but I thought that it fit the rustic style of the structure. The gas pumps come with the kit and I used some small wire I had on hand for the hoses. The ice cabinet, coke machine, barrels and signs all came with the kit. The tie off cleats are a nice detail. I scratch-built the small table at the left front corner of the dock. I thought that the local fisherman needed a place to clean their fish.

Another view. The dock pilings came with the kit. I formed some small wire around the pilings and then glued them into small holes that I drilled in the dock. I got this idea from Tom's build thread.

The small boat and motor are part of the kit. It was a challenge to build this little sucker. I didn't paint it until after it was assembled.

Here is the structure planted in it's lakefront location. The streetlights are from a Walthers utility pole kit and the canoes are a small kit that I assembled. I forget who made them.

Another look. The wood dock is scratch-built.

I'm happy with this little build and with my kit-bash of it. I like to think that my open air customer area gives mine a different look. Both of the small FOS kits were fun to build and look good on the layout. That's it for this small thread. Thanks for looking in.

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Zephyrus52246

Two great looking structures.  I always like the signage Doug puts in his kits.

Jeff

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Both look jus beautiful.

Karl

GPdemayo

Nice build and good looking scene Jeff..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tom.boyd.125

Jeff,
Nice work on those 2 gems !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ReadingBob

Nice work on both!  I really like the change you made to the Bud's Bait and Gas by opening up the one side.  That makes it a unique little structure.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

nycjeff

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on May 08, 2021, 07:23:02 AM
Two great looking structures.  I always like the signage Doug puts in his kits.

Jeff

Hello Jeff, I agree, the signage in the FOS kits is very good and thank you for the kind words.

Quote from: postalkarl on May 08, 2021, 09:17:53 AM
Hey Jeff:

Both look jus beautiful.

Karl

Hey Karl, thank you, FOS makes great looking small kits.

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 08, 2021, 09:32:47 AM
Nice build and good looking scene Jeff..... 8)

Hello Greg, thanks, the gas and bait dock makes my lakefront look much better.

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on May 08, 2021, 10:23:58 AM
Jeff,
Nice work on those 2 gems !
Tommy

Hello Tommy, thank you and the best part was that one of the kits was free.

Quote from: ReadingBob on May 08, 2021, 10:47:53 AM
Nice work on both!  I really like the change you made to the Bud's Bait and Gas by opening up the one side.  That makes it a unique little structure.

Hello Bob, one of the many techniques that I have picked up here on the forum is to alter the kits so that they look a little different than the ones on everyone else's layout.

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Opa George

Jeff,
Those both turned out great.  Love your detail work.  I just started Jimmy King's Barbecue last evening and I hope you don't mind that I steal your idea to turn the pig sign into a rooftop sign.  Great idea.

--Opa George

EricQuebec

Nice little structure
Eric

ACL1504

Jeff,

Very nice job on both structures. They look really well done. It's hard to believe it has been six years since I build my version of the Gas and Bait.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Quote from: Opa George on May 11, 2021, 04:44:56 PM
Jeff,
Those both turned out great.  Love your detail work.  I just started Jimmy King's Barbecue last evening and I hope you don't mind that I steal your idea to turn the pig sign into a rooftop sign.  Great idea.

--Opa George

Hello George, I'm glad you liked my little builds. If as they say, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I say go for it on the roof-top sign. I'm looking forward to your version of it.

Quote from: EricQuebec on May 11, 2021, 05:03:48 PM
Nice little structure
Eric

Hey Eric, thank you, FOS makes great little buildings with lots of character don't they.

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 11, 2021, 06:23:43 PM
Jeff,

Very nice job on both structures. They look really well done. It's hard to believe it has been six years since I build my version of the Gas and Bait.

Tom  ;D

Hello Tom, thanks for the nice comments. As I said in my thread, I used your build thread for much of what I did.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Thanks. Like I said the Gas & Bait looks great. Built that when I did test build for Doug. Yours looks just great.

Karl