The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on August 25, 2021, 07:56:24 PM
Tom,

Your roads look fine to me.  The darker area in the center of the lanes could be a little wider IMO.  Roads today look nothing like the roads of the 50's.  Then cars had road draft tubes that blew any compression leakage along with any oil that passed the rings directly onto the road.  Carbureted engines fed too much gasoline to the cylinders especially under acceleration.  That led to engine wear and oil blowby.  The oil not only came from any crankcase leaks, but also straight out the tailpipe of any worn engines.  Roads today are much cleaner due to the complex emission systems.  Just my two cents, and maybe not worth that...

Jerry,

The newer roads of today certainly don't show the oil spills of old. Many of our older roads still have the oil pattern. My old 1947 Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily) sedan had an oil blow by. This is a late 40's early 50's layout so the oil patterns are numerous.

I was thinking the darker oil pattern was to wide.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on August 26, 2021, 07:28:50 AM
Tahope is starting to come to life.....I bet the planning and zoning commission meetings are a hoot, since all the major decisions are made in that Pullman car parked by the freight house.  ;D

Greg,

Tahope I get it finished. You know those meeting are discussed over money passing from one hand to the other.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on August 26, 2021, 12:36:49 PM
Hey Tom:

This area is starting to come together. It's looking just fantastic. I'm following along with great interest.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks very much, appreciate the kind compliment. Happy to have you on the wagon.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The trackside tavern is out for now. FOS Burlesque Review is now in place. It features live girls as opposed to dead girls. :P

I think the railroad workers would rathe see some skin instead of the bottom of a beer mug. Here, they can have both.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here we are looking SE towards downtown Tahope.

Here are a few structures that may find a spot along the east side of the highway. No particular order or position.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

I'm sure the Revue facility will provide some fodder for the Judge's Saturday Stories!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Tom.

I really like the road running diagonally through the scene - it will make for some interesting viewing.  You will have fun placing all those structures.

It seems you have moved on from the trackside tavern for now - but for interests sake I calculated you would need an area 81mm x 31mm to build the underpass as shown in the photo (along with a footpath parallel to it).  That allows for an 11' drop in height and steps with a rise of 7" and a run of 11" and 5' space for a return at the top.  Of course you could always put a 180 degree turn in the stairs down and reduce the length required.  regardless, I have filed the pictures and am thinking Tellynott could do with one of those underpasses.

It would seem that the real problem with your roads is that I am too young!  Oh well - not a bad problem to have.  By the time I got my drivers license in 85 most cars were pretty good at keeping the oil in the car.

Your progress is astounding!  And having said that its time for me to roll up my sleeves and do some modeling of my own.

Cheers, Mark. 

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

That's quite A little town. You never cease to amaze me with your modeling. Can't wait to see it finished.

Karl

RWL

Tom,

After a long hiatus from this site and your fourth page and some of your third, I am just catching up with your progress and there is much of it. It all is coming along quite well, but something we all would expect from your ethics. More importantly, I am glad that you got through your bout of Covid and came out on the other side. I still get headaches, or a runny nose at some of the most inconvenient moments. But, back to the progress and a question.

Is there a reason that you chose to support the next level from the bottom instead of the top? Why did you not consider hanging the final level from the roof rafters? Gussets could have provided longitudinal and lateral support and the space between levels would have been clear.

Again, looking very nice!

Bob

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on August 26, 2021, 08:06:01 PM
I'm sure the Revue facility will provide some fodder for the Judge's Saturday Stories!

dave

Dave,

That's probably a good bet.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 28, 2021, 04:37:56 PM

dave

Dave,

Tom  ;D

I wonder if some of the (more distinguished) customers will end up appearing at the Judge's Chambers, rather than in open court... 

dave 
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on August 26, 2021, 09:22:52 PM
Looking good, Tom.

I really like the road running diagonally through the scene - it will make for some interesting viewing.  You will have fun placing all those structures.

It seems you have moved on from the trackside tavern for now - but for interests sake I calculated you would need an area 81mm x 31mm to build the underpass as shown in the photo (along with a footpath parallel to it).  That allows for an 11' drop in height and steps with a rise of 7" and a run of 11" and 5' space for a return at the top.  Of course you could always put a 180 degree turn in the stairs down and reduce the length required.  regardless, I have filed the pictures and am thinking Tellynott could do with one of those underpasses.

It would seem that the real problem with your roads is that I am too young!  Oh well - not a bad problem to have.  By the time I got my drivers license in 85 most cars were pretty good at keeping the oil in the car.

Your progress is astounding!  And having said that its time for me to roll up my sleeves and do some modeling of my own.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

I always welcome your input on the thread. You have many great ideas and I love how Tellynott is coming along.

I also really like the pedestrian underpass idea - just don't have the room for it here.

I got my driver's license in 1961 and the oil stains were every where. At top signs and red lights you could really see all the cars that dropped oil as the cars were waiting to move. Being young is definitely a very good thing. Think of all the time you have to work on you empire.

Again, thank you for the support and very kind compliment.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: RWL on August 28, 2021, 11:00:25 AM
Tom,

After a long hiatus from this site and your fourth page and some of your third, I am just catching up with your progress and there is much of it. It all is coming along quite well, but something we all would expect from your ethics. More importantly, I am glad that you got through your bout of Covid and came out on the other side. I still get headaches, or a runny nose at some of the most inconvenient moments. But, back to the progress and a question.

Is there a reason that you chose to support the next level from the bottom instead of the top? Why did you not consider hanging the final level from the roof rafters? Gussets could have provided longitudinal and lateral support and the space between levels would have been clear.

Again, looking very nice!

Bob

Bob,

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated.

Good to hear from you. Glad you are over it as well. After 10 months post Covid-19 my stamina is back but I still have a few other issues. I also have a runny nose at times that is inconvenient. I still have a dry cough that comes on for no apparent reason. Mainly, my taste seems to be off since last November when it really hit me the worst. Some foods taste sour to me when I know they are fresh. I no longer eat cereal as the milk always taste bad and past the drinkable date. But I'm happy to have survived.

No particular reason for the support from the bottom vs the top. It was a topic for several months and it was seriously considered. However, Covid-19 hit at the Langford residence and I simply didn't feel like crawling in the attic to attach anything from the layout to the joists. My attic space in the train building is shallow, only about 28 inches from joists to the rafters. Also, I didn't want to go through the ceiling drywall.

So, I opted to support it from the bottom. The vertical 1X2 supports do visually impair the viewing of the layout but I'll live with it.

I'll call you in a few days as I have some questions I'd like to discuss with you.

Tom  ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on August 28, 2021, 05:01:14 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on August 28, 2021, 04:37:56 PM

dave

Dave,

Tom  ;D

I wonder if some of the (more distinguished) customers will end up appearing at the Judge's Chambers, rather than in open court... 

dave

Dave,

We have a new court house so the Judge's Chambers will be used for unsuspecting tourist and citizens who may or may not have violated the speed laws in Tahope. We can generate revenue on the weekends when the main court house is closed.  :-X

Tom  8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com