The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Some times I'll add a fourth layer for just small details like trackside cinders, I use WS Fine Ballast Cinders #B1376 and add a pinch or two along some of the track right of way.

Other material I may use is a blend of home made brown oak leaf mix. I blend it in a blender on high with about 1/2 water in the blender. I'll spread it out on a pie pan to dry in the sun.

I'll also use some sanded Midwest Cork Roadbed. This is great as it can be used for dead grass and other piles of leaves.

Time to get a cold Diet Pepsi.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is a photo of the leaf colors I used.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Every scenery item I mentioned above can be found in the next two photos.

Done for today.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

Nice how to Tom. Thanks for the info.

An a great job on the scenery!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bernd

Nice step by step on scenery. I've never done scenery yet and this is a great help for me. Thanks for the showing the technique you use.

Benrd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

NKP768

Nice work Tom...looks great. I'm stealing by the way.

Doug

Blazeman

Shame the Gusano Loco has that fire hydrant outside.  Maybe it's for the hot stuff inside, but it takes away a parking space assuming parking by a hydrant is a no-no in that area of fine dining.  And it appears parking spaces are limited.

deemery

Quote from: Blazeman on June 10, 2021, 01:24:02 PM
Shame the Gusano Loco has that fire hydrant outside.  Maybe it's for the hot stuff inside, but it takes away a parking space assuming parking by a hydrant is a no-no in that area of fine dining.  And it appears parking spaces are limited.

Provides the cops and the J.P. with more opportunities to write parking tickets and collect fines :-) :-) 

I can't wait to see Tom install the Judge's Quarters, so the J.P. can start bringing in that income.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on June 10, 2021, 08:54:15 AM
Nice how to Tom. Thanks for the info.

An a great job on the scenery!

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks and you are very welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Bernd on June 10, 2021, 09:19:22 AM
Nice step by step on scenery. I've never done scenery yet and this is a great help for me. Thanks for the showing the technique you use.

Benrd

Bernd,

Much appreciated, thank you. Scenery isn't really hard to do but I'll give you one little bit of "you should do this first" tip. I learned from Howard Zane if you are starting a project, be it track laying, ballast, scenery or structures - be sure to have all you need for that session. If not and you need to get more or visit the hobby shop for more supplies, most likely you won't get back to the project with the same enthusiasm.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: NKP768 on June 10, 2021, 11:09:59 AM
Nice work Tom...looks great. I'm stealing by the way.

Doug

Doug,

Thank you very much for the compliment. Steal away as we are here to share so others can steal with no regrets.  :P

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on June 10, 2021, 01:24:02 PM

Larry,

Yepper, the fire hydrant was on the front sidewalk as a stand alone structure. I've since moved to street side. Now, patrons of the greasy spoon at Gusano Loco can park and not violate any parking rules.

Gusano Loco is mostly frequented by the folks at the citrus plants, they can walk to get their tacos.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on June 10, 2021, 03:58:54 PM

Provides the cops and the J.P. with more opportunities to write parking tickets and collect fines :-) :-) 

I can't wait to see Tom install the Judge's Quarters, so the J.P. can start bringing in that income.

dave

Dave,

Well, there is that also. The Judge's Quarters will be located further north of where it was. I had it there as a test fit but have another small structure for that location.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I have been busy on the layout and have lots of progress photos but haven't uploaded or cropped any for the thread at this time. Hopefully I'll have some ready by this evening. If not, definitely tomorrow evening.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Not all my structures are glued in place. I like to be able to remove and clean them and change LEDs if necessary. In order to do this the scenery needs to be done first.

I'll use a thin pointed marker to outline the structure. Then painters tape is used to tape off the interior shape of the building.

The basic base scenery is then added.

I'll leave this to dry overnight.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com