The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

If you need some more city structures, Lunde Studios has some great kits.  The latest NG&SL Gazette has a review of 2 of their newest kits, smaller structures, that might work well for you.   http://www.lundestudios.com/plus.htm

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Dave,

Yes, Lunde has some very nice city structures. I've had their site bookmarked for a few years now. I appreciate the info and will try one of the kits one of these days.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Good progress Tom.....to me, that first Merchant's Row kit has a real old Florida small town look to it.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, Tom.

I agree - merchants row #1 appeals the most to me too.  I used this one to make my curving, stepped block of shops.  It was pretty easy to cut it into five separate shop fronts and backs - a possibility for adding alleyways between structures.  I only used three of these in my block, but I felt doing this really changed the feel of the kit.  I also added a scratchbuilt enclosed stairway and two hip roofs.

Cheers, Mark.

ReadingBob

Maybe a City Classics structure or two would fit in as well.  I think their quality is just a little better than the DPM kits.  I have a few in my stash.  If you want to see what they look like I can bring them down one of these weekends.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 18, 2021, 08:09:02 AM
Good progress Tom.....to me, that first Merchant's Row kit has a real old Florida small town look to it.  8)

Greg,

I like it for Tahope as well. The other two have the look of a Summit Level build.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on July 18, 2021, 05:35:25 PM
Looking great, Tom.

I agree - merchants row #1 appeals the most to me too.  I used this one to make my curving, stepped block of shops.  It was pretty easy to cut it into five separate shop fronts and backs - a possibility for adding alleyways between structures.  I only used three of these in my block, but I felt doing this really changed the feel of the kit.  I also added a scratchbuilt enclosed stairway and two hip roofs.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

I like Merchants #1 as well. I also like the one with the gable front corner but this isn't the look I want for Tahope. Magnuson kits are easy to make resin copies of and I have kit bashed the power station for the old layout. I do plan to have a couple of alleys as they make great mini scenes between the buildings.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on July 19, 2021, 07:06:00 AM
Maybe a City Classics structure or two would fit in as well.  I think their quality is just a little better than the DPM kits.  I have a few in my stash.  If you want to see what they look like I can bring them down one of these weekends.   ;)

Bob,

I've looked at City Classics as well and they are very nice. I agree in the quality being somewhat better than DPM. Yes, next time you come this way bring them down for a look see.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I have been busy on the layout but am very far behind on my photo up dates.

I got the west side of Tahope's Main Street finished with adding the two layers of 2 ply heavy cardboard. It has been glued in place and weighted down until the glue dried.

I hope to have more photos for tomorrow evening.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looks great. Wish I had all the Floquil paint.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on July 21, 2021, 05:33:13 PM
Hey Tom:

Looks great. Wish I had all the Floquil paint.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you. The Floquil in the photos above came from Jim Miller's estate. He left them to me when he passed. I have about 300+ other unopened bottles I purchased when the announcement was made that Floquil would stop production of the paint.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 20, 2021, 08:29:13 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on July 18, 2021, 08:09:02 AM

Greg,

I like it for Tahope as well. The other two have the look of a Summit Level build.

Tom ;D

I thing you might be right..... :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 22, 2021, 08:31:21 AM
...I have about 300+ other unopened bottles I purchased when the announcement was made that Floquil would stop production of the paint.

Tom  ;D 
How many of those are bottles of Holy Driftwood?   ;D

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to