BEST R.J. Elwell General Store & Freight House

Started by madharry, June 28, 2021, 12:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom.boyd.125

Mike,
That's a neat looking kit. Never made it to those Craftsman Structure shows to pick up those special offerings...
Nice start...will follow along too...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

madharry

Thanks very much Tommy.
Here are all the walls for both structures with the windows and doors fitted. Some laser cut acetate is supplied with the kit but unfortunately not enough to do all the windows. I used my own supply for the two main "shop" windows and used canopy glue on the rest.
Mike

CVSNE

This is a great kit. Two of my friends - George Dutka and Don Janes, have also built this kit.

George ran into a couple of issues building his - that he covered in his blog. See this post -
http://whiteriverdivision.blogspot.com/2014/11/rj-elwell-general-store-best-kit.html

Don has a summary of his build here -
http://whiteriverdivision.blogspot.com/2015/12/elwell-general-store-green-mtn-version.html

Hope this helps,

Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

postalkarl

Hey Mad Harry:

Looks just great so far. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

madharry

Quote from: CVSNE on July 06, 2021, 09:43:41 AM
This is a great kit. Two of my friends - George Dutka and Don Janes, have also built this kit.

George ran into a couple of issues building his - that he covered in his blog. See this post -
http://whiteriverdivision.blogspot.com/2014/11/rj-elwell-general-store-best-kit.html

Don has a summary of his build here -
http://whiteriverdivision.blogspot.com/2015/12/elwell-general-store-green-mtn-version.html

Hope this helps,

Marty
Thanks Marty,I have already discovered like George that my kit does not have the shutters or the porch roof. I have no shutters in stock but I can probably fabricate the roof from materials to hand.
Mike

madharry

madharry

Two in progress pictures of the structures with the walls erected. The eave trim boards were a very tight fit. The roofs are next. They slot over the walls but the slots are too narrow and will need some fettling.
Mike

ReadingBob

Looking good Mike!   :)  Always a bit of an extra challenge when things are a tight fit or don't fit at all. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

madharry

Thanks Bob. A bit of slow progress as all the ceilings in the home are being re-plastered. I have to keep moving things around to avoid getting plaster on my models. Three in progress pictures. The roofs have been applied and I have changed the porch roof on the store from a metal roof to shingles.........
Mike

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

A straight cut needle file works well for enlarging slots in tab-and-slot kits.  I'd rather the slots be slightly too small than too large.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey Mike:

Looks just great so far. Love the colors.

Karl.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Looking good Mike. We are starting an indoor painting and carpet project in our home that's going to keep me moving stuff around for a few weeks.  Spending so much time at home the last 18 months has given "the boss" lots of ideas. ::)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

madharry

Quote from: S&S RR on July 14, 2021, 08:05:29 AM
Looking good Mike. We are starting an indoor painting and carpet project in our home that's going to keep me moving stuff around for a few weeks.  Spending so much time at home the last 18 months has given "the boss" lots of ideas. ::)
Thanks John. Yes the walls and ceilings are to be painted next. Then the render and woodwork outside. Then probably new carpets and curtains. At least we will be keeping the local economy happy.
Mike