The Flux Mill [Diorama]

Started by Keep It Rusty, July 13, 2021, 11:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep It Rusty

Hey everyone.

In recent months I have been incredibly fortunate to find my blog sponsored by some very awesome and very talented manufacturers. I had one strict rule when this whirlwind started: to only be sponsored by folks I truly believed in and could honestly, hand-on-heart endorse. I would want only the same in return.

One of those sponsors is a company called FLUX. They are based out in Taiwan and offered me a once in a lifetime opportunity. They send me one of their laser cutters in return for a diorama (with a structure cut using the machine).

I obviously couldn't say no.

Whilst I waited for it to arrive, I ordered up a whole trough-load of materials (laser board, task board, clapboard, MDF... you name it) and then I educated myself on the design phase on the computer. I actually started out looking to learn AutoCAD but quickly gave up out of frustration. I'm to used to parametric design work, so I put more effort into learning Fusion360. After a week or so, I was at the races.

In some downtime at work, I finished up the design for the structure:

Even though Fusion360 isn't made for architectural work like this, I find it very productive. What's more, because it's parametric-based, that means I can later add new dimensions for a wall and the whole design updates with it. Nice.

As I settled on the design, a few days later the laser arrived. And what a machine!

Soon after the machine arrived I started dialing it all in. It took a while to get all the settings for the various materials, but once it's done it's done. And the proprietary software Flux offer makes it easy.

I got to cutting it all out and was done within 15 minutes.

Last night I got it all braced and did a dry-fit in the foam base I had also previously started. (Yes, this is going to be another elevation-change diorama. I had too much fun last time!)

So here is where I'm at. A wedge-shaped urban mill, sunk in the smoggy depths of the industrial district:

More soon!

deemery

"Makers of fine quality capacitors for time machines" :-)  I like the structure so far.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: deemery on July 13, 2021, 12:15:27 PM
"Makers of fine quality capacitors for time machines" :-)  I like the structure so far.

dave

I actually have a sign made up to the tune of that already! Haha.

Thanks Dave!

S&S RR

Very cool, you are off to a great start.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Keep It Rusty

Thanks, John!

I'm not sure about a day, but what a difference a laser makes!

tom.boyd.125

Craig,
Free is a great deal not to pass up...your modeling talent shows strong on all projects you do...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Craig,

Congrats on the additional support from Flux. Your work is so amazing and I consider the forum members here to be very fortunate to have your talents shared for all of us. As Rush Limbaugh said, "Talent on loan from GOD"!

Thank you for all you share.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Very, very cool!  Your productivity astounds me!  If only I were 1/1,000 as productive as you are.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Keep It Rusty

Tom, Tom & Bob — you are all extremely kind. Thank you for your encouraging words, they really do go a long way.
Just like the 3D printer, the laser has changed the hobby all over again (for me, personally).

If I may, I'd love to share a personal discovery that also changed my hobby for the better:

One of the very best things I learned from studying the F&SM is George's bravery.
Let me clarify: his confidence and talent to keep moving forwards. To keep adapting his skills and not get comfortable with just one, once he'd mastered it. A shortcut to "Stagnate Blvd". Miniatures tell stories and each story must be different. And just like the work of a good novelist, each character is individual and unique, not only to make the read enjoyable... and dramatic... but to also mask the fact that he/she is present -- that a single voice is the source. Can you imagine watching 12 Angry Men where all the characters shared the same opinion?

It's this that makes the F&SM look so real, so pleasing to the eye. So endless to keep coming back to. I don't see George's work, I'm in George's world.

So, with the laser, I'll continue to take that leaf from his book and keep moving forwards. Trying new things. To keep being brave.

And Bob... it's this that makes me keep coming back to the bench even when I should be doing something else ;)

deemery

We've been in an era of substantial flux with respect to modeling tools.  Besides laser cutters, there's scribers like Cricut, and now 3D printing.  I expect multi-production kits (laser + 3d printed) to become increasingly common.  And That's A Good Thing.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteI don't see George's work, I'm in George's world.

Very well said, Craig. 

I remember the first time I saw pictures of the F&SM - I just imagined myself shrunk down to 1:87 size, with a backpack on my back, and a whole day to go exploring those cobbled streets and dark alleyways, meeting and talking to the residents.  The Gorre and Dephetid made me feel the same way.  Its certainly something I strive for in my own work - although there is still a long way to go...

Your new mill looks very interesting.

Cheers, Mark.

Jerry

Craig your just an amazing guy!

An your definitely in George's world!  And doing a dam good job of moving forward with each new build.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: deemery on July 13, 2021, 03:07:23 PM
We've been in an era of substantial flux with respect to modeling tools.  Besides laser cutters, there's scribers like Cricut, and now 3D printing.  I expect multi-production kits (laser + 3d printed) to become increasingly common.  And That's A Good Thing.
dave

I could not agree more, Dave. SierraWest is the front leader, by many miles, for "multi-production kits".

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on July 13, 2021, 04:15:17 PM

Very well said, Craig. 

I remember the first time I saw pictures of the F&SM - I just imagined myself shrunk down to 1:87 size, with a backpack on my back, and a whole day to go exploring those cobbled streets and dark alleyways, meeting and talking to the residents.  The Gorre and Dephetid made me feel the same way.  Its certainly something I strive for in my own work - although there is still a long way to go...

Your new mill looks very interesting.

Cheers, Mark.

Glad you agree, Mark. And I totally see it in your work, by the way!

Quote from: Jerry on July 13, 2021, 05:18:55 PM
Craig your just an amazing guy!

An your definitely in George's world!  And doing a dam good job of moving forward with each new build.

Jerry

What a lovely thing to say. Thanks, Jerry! To be put anywhere near George's orbit is a huge compliment. Better yet, I'm thrilled you see progress in my builds.

postalkarl

hey rusty:

your model is looking great so far. Keep the pics coming.

Karl

Keep It Rusty

Got more done in recent days to this mill build.

I got to painting and weathering all the walls.

After the normal staining, I airbrushed chipping fluid all over, followed by a light, patchy coat of blue paint. After chipping, I then weathered with chalks:

For the lettering, I used the laser to cut custom stencils. These were also airbrushed. The lettering was outlined with a fine marker.

As I was waiting for everything to dry, I got to work on the billboard. I used 2x6, 3x3 and 8x8's. The chipboard is 0.5mm. The ad was found using Google.

Everything was weathered with stains and chalks:

Finally, I got around to printing (amongst another secret project), some junk. These are either my own design or found in places like Thingiverse and subsequently scaled to HO:

Last night I put the entire structure of the Mill together which I will showcase in the next post soon.

Thanks for reading!