Need a suggestion for electrical connection

Started by deemery, July 31, 2021, 10:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

I hung the valence boards yesterday.  The LED lights are fed by the pigtail coming out from behind the valence.  The cord hanging down will eventually run along the ceiling to an outlet there (originally intended for track lighting, this is switched separately from the room's lights.)   The Wago lever connectors are there temporarily to check out the lights.

I want something small that also contains a switch, and that is 'legal' with the electrical code to make the connection between pigtails and lamp cord to the outlet.  Any thoughts/suggestions?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Rollin

I would suggest looking at surface mount conduit, Wiremold is one brand, for example. These systems come in metal and/or plastic, are big enough to install one circuit, and go together without having to bend any pieces. Start where your picture is, put a flat junction box to protect the pigtail connections, run the stuff to where you want the outlet, then use a box large enough to mount both the outlet and a regular on/off switch.
This way, your 110 volt wiring is protected from wayward screws and staples, and that should comply with code.

jbvb

An alternative is what you'll find by searching for "in-line zip cord switch".   Keep in mind that zip cord/lamp cord plastic, at least as it was in the past, eventually dried out and hardened.  If hardened cord is flexed, the insulation can crack right off.

I'm using 14 gauge 'automotive zip cord' for low voltage circuits, which include my LED light strips.  My 110 VAC circuits are all Romex (flat) or BX (round armored) cable.
James

tct855

:)
     I've heard it thrown out there in the past that a good solid hammer works wonders in any electrical situation.  In fact the bigger the wire, the bigger the hammer!  While I'm not giving any electrical advice, I do hear CNN provides 24/7 truth on all issues electrical and otherwise. ???  Just throwing it out there since the world seems to pick up everything else.
                                                                                                 :-X

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to