Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep It Rusty

I thought that was a crank handle for winding up the station agent...

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on September 10, 2021, 08:34:48 PM
Overreached lol.

I hit it with something. I straightened it out but one more time and there will be glue involved in the fix.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on September 10, 2021, 09:11:00 PM
I thought that was a crank handle for winding up the station agent...

Craig

No,  it powers the 1940's LED lights. I fixed it.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on September 10, 2021, 08:31:58 PM
Did anyone else notice that the lighting rod on the depot was bent over?  :-[  I can't find anyone else in the shop to blame.

Well, I missed it.  8)

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bernd

Missed it. Must of happened between post 95 and 96.

I think it was a test to see how closely we actually look at your pictures.  ???

I failed.  >:(

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 11, 2021, 07:16:51 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on September 10, 2021, 08:31:58 PM
Did anyone else notice that the lighting rod on the depot was bent over?  :-[  I can't find anyone else in the shop to blame.

Well, I missed it.  8)

Tom  ;D

Tom

So did I - until I looked at the pictures.  My camera is still one of my most important modeling tools. I catch things in the pictures that I miss looking at the model on the workbench. With the new iPhones, that intensify the contrast, it really helps to blend the colors. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Bernd on September 11, 2021, 08:00:40 AM
Missed it. Must of happened between post 95 and 96.

I think it was a test to see how closely we actually look at your pictures.  ???

I failed.  >:(

Bernd

Bernd

I need to stop storing stuff on the back of the workbench that I have to reach over the model to retrieve. Pictures catch everything and make a great reference for model touchups.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: S&S RR on September 11, 2021, 10:18:23 AMMy camera is still one of my most important modeling tools.

Couldn't agree more. I actually use an Optivisor for many purposes now. Not because my eyesight is poor, but just so I can get in close and get these details first time around.

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on September 11, 2021, 10:31:49 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on September 11, 2021, 10:18:23 AMMy camera is still one of my most important modeling tools.

Couldn't agree more. I actually use an Optivisor for many purposes now. Not because my eyesight is poor, but just so I can get in close and get these details first time around.

Craig

I have a number of optical devices that I use from time to time.  Most of the time I rely on my trifocal lens glasses that I had the eye doctor make special for me with the lines at just the right place and with increased peripheral vision. I hated glasses when I first started wearing them because I felt like I was looking through binoculars all the time.  I basically went in and told him what I didn't like and he worked with me to fix it.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: A couple progress photographs from my workbench, today.

You can really see the iPhone turn straight lines into curves in this photograph.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Well tonight the buildings are together for both the Eagles Nest Depot and the Sayles Mill.  The freight depot portion of the Depot has interior detail and a removable roof - I need to add the bracing to the roof before I add it to the assembly.  After completing the roof, tomorrow will start the detailing portion of the build. This build will be on the layout where I can reach it, so most of the scenery will be added once it's on the layout. I also plan on adding some LED lights so the interior detail will be visible through the open doors.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The Sayles Mill is a real in process picture, tonight, with weights holding the Annex building down until the glue dries. Most of the scenery for this build will be completed on my workbench because it will be located in the back of the layout where it's not a lot of fun adding details. So tomorrow it's all about the details.

John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Great progress, John.

Both dioramas are coming along very nicely.  I really like the weathering on your Eagles nest depot.  I like your late night updates - it means when I sit down for afternoon smoko in your tomorrow there is something cool to read and study.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey John:

Both the station and Sayles Mill look just beautiful. Can't wait to see them finsihed and on the layout.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on September 12, 2021, 11:42:15 PM
Great progress, John.

Both dioramas are coming along very nicely.  I really like the weathering on your Eagles nest depot.  I like your late night updates - it means when I sit down for afternoon smoko in your tomorrow there is something cool to read and study.

Cheers, Mark.

Thank you for the kind words,  I'm glad our schedules from the other side of the earth meet at a convenient time. I hope to have some detailing pictures for your review during your afternoon smoko.
John Siekirk