Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 28, 2021, 12:42:04 PM
Looking at the coaling trestle:  Seems to me that coal dumped would tend to fall into the river.  Are you going to add a wall along the river to keep the coal in place?

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the water.  I still need to do water along my mill canal scene.

dave

Dave

I will take a picture tomorrow of the side view of the coal pit.  It is being modeled in the full position so the coal is piled up to the top of the wall. You are correct that any more coal would end up in the river. I should be getting to the water in the next few weeks. I need to collect some river bottom stones. Small HO size gravel for the bottom of the river.  I plan on doing it when I'm on my fishing trip with my Grandson.

Dave

Followup picture:  Here is what the coal piles under the trestle look like on the opposite side.  As you can see the piles are up to the trestle and flow out to the top of the wall on the river side.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey John:

The building looks great and the diorama is coming along well also.

From Duck NC in the Outer Banks.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on August 29, 2021, 07:10:19 AM
Hey John:

The building looks great and the diorama is coming along well also.

From Duck NC in the Outer Banks.

Karl

Karl

Thank you, it sounds like you are traveling.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

For those that enjoy pictures of my stickups to hold things in place while the glue dries. I thought this one was worth a picture.  Assembling the bell tower.  I decided to assemble this in place so I could "eye ball it" from the other side of the room.  This tower has so many pieces that assembling it on the workbench invited stickup errors that would make it look terrible. If it looks straight from the other side of my workshop, it will look straight on the layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm also making progress with the axillary buildings. The windows are in the boiler house and I'm waiting for the glue to dry for the casting buildup that makes up the roof.

Bob suggests building the annex building on a piece of paper to help hold all the castings together - I decided to glue everything together on a thin plastic base. I painted it so the white plastic will not show through the ground cover.

In this picture the foundation casting is being glued to the plastic base.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I then glued the resin casting assembly to the foundation and the base.

The rest of the structure is wood.  You can see some pieces on the workbench.  The window castings are metal for this part of the building and I forgot to paint them white when I painted the plastic window castings.  So next step is to paint more window castings.

John Siekirk

deemery

John, I see what you mean!  (A couple of slats of fencing wouldn't hurt, though ;D  )

I need to get some more marble countertop samples/cutoffs for weights.  They're great for trackwork, since they're about 1" wide.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 29, 2021, 11:39:15 AM
John, I see what you mean!  (A couple of slats of fencing wouldn't hurt, though ;D  )

I need to get some more marble countertop samples/cutoffs for weights.  They're great for trackwork, since they're about 1" wide.

dave

Okay, upon further review, I'm adding a couple rows of wood to the top of the wall to keep the coal out of the river. ;D  See update pictures below.

I have a few granite weights that I managed to get my hands on during our kitchen and master bathroom remodeling projects.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on August 29, 2021, 05:40:32 PM
John another masterpiece being built.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the very encouraging words.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are some progress photographs of the Sayles Mill build.  I made some progress on the bell tower. I'm waiting for the paint to dry overnight and I will bring in a crane to mount the bell. Bob included some brass etched railings and bell housing.  I managed to loose the bell, somewhere, on this workbench. :-[   My guess is the shop vacuum ate it.  While looking through my castings for another bell I found some railings I liked better so my bell tower will be a little different than the kit. The roof is all ready to be glued on once the bell is in place.

You will also notice, that the brown glue is now a dark murky blue in the backwater ponds. I mixed blue and black paint together to get the color I liked. This is the color I would expect water to be in a silty, deep, backwater pond.  I will start adding the gloss medium for the water, tomorrow.

And you will also notice that I added a wood railing on top of the stone wall by the coal pit, at Dave's request. I added one rail but the posts are high enough to add more.  My guess is that two rails will be added.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The pond color looks much blacker in these photographs than it does to me with my eyes. I believe it's the iPhone playing with contrast and picking up on the white in the building.  We will see what it looks like after the first coat of gloss medium. I need to paint the trough from the mill to the pond a lighter color because it is not deep. I'm still working on that.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also have an update on the Brownsville Depot build.  I have started adding some of the detail castings. For those that are following this build using Georges directions - I have just finished everything on Sheets A and B.  I'm just starting Sheet C. I usually build to the pictures and figure cards that George supplies with his kits, then I skim through the directions and check things off to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Front

Back
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

That's A great kitty. I test built it. My friend Jon has it for his RR. His Rr is about the same size as the F&SM. Can't to see what you do with it. Looks great so far.

Karl

deemery

John, those extra boards make me feel much better, for a couple of reasons:  (1) You thought my nagging was worth doing :-)  (2) It shows some 'deliberate intent' in the model for keeping the coal out of the river, (3) it breaks up the long run of stone a bit, which I think helps the scene overall.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to