Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

This evening, I finally finished the tile roof on the Hooker & Son build. I have a lot of hours in this one. I took these pictures to inspect the roof and see if I want to make any changes and I thought I would share them.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

I bet its nice to get that job out of the way!  Well done, John.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 27, 2022, 10:04:04 AM
Beautiful roof.

Curt

Thank you, a little chalk in the final detail stage, a few detail castings,  and I think the roof is complete.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on January 27, 2022, 02:05:09 PM
I bet its nice to get that job out of the way!  Well done, John.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you, and yes I'm ready to move on to the next step with this build. ;)  First, I had a lot of little trimmings that need to be vacuumed up. I should have taken a picture - too late now.
John Siekirk

Judge

John - The Hooker and Son building is marvelous!  I guess you have lots of time to do tedious work like that - being snowed in and all.  I would have looked at the roof and said "not for me."  It will look great when finally installed on your empire.  Keep 'em coming!

S&S RR

Quote from: Judge on January 29, 2022, 06:51:38 AM
John - The Hooker and Son building is marvelous!  I guess you have lots of time to do tedious work like that - being snowed in and all.  I would have looked at the roof and said "not for me."  It will look great when finally installed on your empire.  Keep 'em coming!

Bill

Thank you for the encouraging words - let just say that the roof on Hooker and Son was the most complex I have run across.  I like it now that it is done.  ;) I'll be adding the back porches to the build, today.
John Siekirk

PaulS

John, just a beautiful job on that roof !!
I had the opportunity and pleasure to visit with Bob Van Gelder earlier this week.  He is doing well and loves seeing others creativity on his structures and kits.  He noted that roof on the Hooker & Son building was his most challenging to design and create.   You have certainly done this justice !!
Keep up the wonderful work and I'll be following along,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

S&S RR

Quote from: PaulS on January 29, 2022, 10:12:26 AM
John, just a beautiful job on that roof !!
I had the opportunity and pleasure to visit with Bob Van Gelder earlier this week.  He is doing well and loves seeing others creativity on his structures and kits.  He noted that roof on the Hooker & Son building was his most challenging to design and create.   You have certainly done this justice !!
Keep up the wonderful work and I'll be following along,
--Paul

Paul

Thank you for your kind words. It is great to hear that Bob is doing well. Since I'm building this as an apartment complex I completed the roof with all tile instead of the tar paper that Bob used on some of the dormers.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Bob a few times and also got to see his shop and wonderful layout.  At the time I visited he had the Sayles Mill stored away under the layout and we managed to get it out and photograph it. I used those reference photographs to build my version which is currently finished on my workbench, as of this afternoon. I plan on posting the final bench pictures of the Sayles Mill later this evening.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have gone as far as I can go with the Sayles Mill build on my workbench. Today, I put the final touches on and after the glue and paint have overnight to dry I will be moving it to the layout for the finial detailing.  Here is a picture of the build sitting on my workbench.  The paper you see attached to the front of the base will go over a foam landform on the layout and be covered with scenery materials. The water will be added in the lower river bed on the layout as part of the river pour. 

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Beautiful build John. Really top notch. I love how you simulated the moving water.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

tom.boyd.125

John,
Your SRMW Sayles Mill diorama came out really nice !!!
Thanks for sharing...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 30, 2022, 08:29:13 AM
Beautiful build John. Really top notch. I love how you simulated the moving water.

Thank you, I have some more detailing to do but I want to see it in location.  The white doors on the tower need to be toned down but I have to see it in place under the layout lights to tell how much.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on January 30, 2022, 01:00:38 PM
John,
Your SRMW Sayles Mill diorama came out really nice !!!
Thanks for sharing...
Tommy

Thank you for the kind words and for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The Sayles Mill has now made it to the layout. I'm working on some changes on the layout and then I will move it for a few days while I finish the scenery in the background. You will also notice the Hooker and Sons (aka "The Bourey Apartments") has also been moved to the layout for a test fit.  I plan on removing some plaster and adding rock talus and scenery materials that will complete the background.  While I'm working in this area I decided to take a few days off from structure building and complete the benchwork for the town of Vansel. I plan on cutting all the base boards for all he structures that will make up this town.

Yes - there will be a series of waterfalls in the river as it flows down from the Sayles Mill.

John Siekirk