Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernd

Glad that material came off that well. Makes me wonder if it wasn't contaminated some how.

The EnviroTex Lite looks like the way to go. Thanks for the detailed pictures.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on September 05, 2021, 11:01:12 PM
Great save!

And nothing beats Envirotex for reliability.

Craig

Thank you - this is the second big project that I had to save because I tried using a different material for pouring water.  I also did a test pour for my river.  I will post pictures, tonight.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on September 05, 2021, 11:24:33 PM
I agree great save. Look's perfect.

Dennis

Thank you,  now for the white water over the dam and rocks.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on September 06, 2021, 07:52:23 AM
The second pour looks great.

Curt

Thank you, I'm real happy with the second pour - it looks great this morning with no bubbles.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Bernd on September 06, 2021, 08:33:20 AM
Glad that material came off that well. Makes me wonder if it wasn't contaminated some how.

The EnviroTex Lite looks like the way to go. Thanks for the detailed pictures.

Bernd

Bernd

Yes it is - I think the only reason I was trying new materials was the one experience we all have had with the pour ending up on the floor because of a leak. The technique of using the Titbond III as a sealer seems to be working real well at solving that problem.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on September 06, 2021, 08:39:25 AM
John, I can't wait to see how that is done. Dennis

Dennis

I will be giving this a couple more days to cure and then I will be adding the white water.  I really liked the way my Threadwell's build turn out and will using many of the same techniques. Please stay tuned. ;)
John Siekirk

Zephyrus52246

I wonder if the Vallejo reacted with the paint, though it's made to mix with acrylics.  The envirotex pour looks good.  Does the envirotex lite have an odor?

Jeff

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on September 06, 2021, 08:48:52 AM
I wonder if the Vallejo reacted with the paint, though it's made to mix with acrylics.  The envirotex pour looks good.  Does the envirotex lite have an odor?

Jeff

Jeff

I used all Vallejo acrylic paints so I'm not sure what went wrong with the chemistry experiment. I'm real happy with envirotex pour.  I didn't detect any real odor from it.  I kept the spray booth fan going just incase.  I helped Frank Baker make a large pour of evirotex light on his layout a few years ago and we didn't have any issues with odor.  I think the chemistry has changed for the product from the stuff I ready about 30 years ago when odor was a big issue. I remember George Sellios talking about how bad the odor was when he did the big water pours on the F&SM. I will ask him about it next time we talk.
John Siekirk

EricQuebec

Quote from: S&S RR on September 06, 2021, 09:03:15 AM

Jeff

Jeff

I used all Vallejo acrylic paints so I'm not sure what went wrong with the chemistry experiment. I'm real happy with envirotex pour.  I didn't detect any real odor from it.  I kept the spray booth fan going just incase.  I helped Frank Baker make a large pour of evirotex light on his layout a few years ago and we didn't have any issues with odor.  I think the chemistry has changed for the product from the stuff I ready about 30 years ago when odor was a big issue. I remember George Sellios talking about how bad the odor was when he did the big water pours on the F&SM. I will ask him about it next time we talk.

I second, I've used envirotex several time and sometimes in place not so well ventilated (Winter are  very cold here) and I never detect any odour, and I'm still alive and the cat too :D
Eric

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on September 06, 2021, 05:12:04 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on September 06, 2021, 09:03:15 AM

Jeff

Jeff

I second, I've used envirotex several time and sometimes in place not so well ventilated (Winter are  very cold here) and I never detect any odour, and I'm still alive and the cat too :D
Eric

Eric

Thank you for the confirmation on the odor - I'm past the 24 hour dry time and still no bubbles. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

As promised this morning, here are a few pictures of my river test with the envirotex.  The test area was prepared by painting on a number of coats (three or four) of the Titbond III wood glue that I use. The first step was to pour the loose gravel I plan on using for my river bed into the area until the bottom was covered.  I then poured the envirotex over the loose grave to a depth of approximately 1/4 inch. I then added the rocks along the river banks and in the center of the river. I added a couple small pieces of wood floating in the river.  After adding the rocks, I took care of the few bubbles that I had using a hair dryer.

The dry gravel.

After the pour and the rocks were added.

This morning after drying overnight.

This pour may get used for my layout.  I plan on building up the banks adding some more details to the water and then pouring another 1/4 inch of envirotex.  White water and flow will be added using the same medium products that I will be using on the Sayles build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Before I quit for the day, today, I took a picture of what I was working on on each workbench. I made more progress on the Brownsville build and the Sayles mill axillary buildings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I need to do something about that white wall - it is sure reflecting in the windows. I think a A&I wash to get rid of some shiny spots is also in order.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

Great work as usual, John. For that interior on the Hydrocal wall, I'd use my cheap black hobby store paint to cancel it out. Alternatively, some black construction paper, half cut and slotted together to form an X shape, is a great way to block out interiors without painting or committing.