Sunday August 29th

Started by PRR Modeler, August 29, 2021, 08:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Good Morning All,

Spending the day at Dad's.  Yesterday I ballasted another 10 ft. of mainline. I have about 15 ft. left, unfortunately most of it is 3 tracks wide.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

MartyO

Morning,

I spent the day digging out a root ball out of. Smoke bush. It was huge for a shrub, a two foot cube and weighting at 100 lbs.
Marty

ReadingBob

Morning all,

I got a decent airbrush session in yesterday but ran into one problem.  My supply of Floquil Reefer White is depleted.   :'(  I hit Hobby Lobby looking for alternatives and came home with some Vallejo Blanco Acrylic.  I may try that in the airbrush later on today.

Have a great one!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Keep It Rusty

Morning ramblers!

Bob β€” you'll be pleased with Vallejo. Excellent brand with great coverage. White is a hard color to paint smooth. The airbrush helps. Yellow is actually a great primer color for a base coat in white.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Good morning! I'm working on the railroad, today, just stopped in for a cup of coffee and some inspiration. I hope everyone has a great day.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Raymo

Morning. I actually cleaned up some walls and cut some strip wood for bracing yesterday for a small KC's Workshop building yesterday. Another small step in recovery.

deemery

For primers, I actually prefer the Badger Stylryenz primers.  (Great product, terrible name!)  The neutral yellow primer is great to spray over something you want to look like wood.  After it cures, apply your favorite stain (A&I, HunterLine, BEST).  The lumber load is an Owl Mtn styrene kit, primed with neutral yellow and then HunterLine Driftwood. 

Speaking of airbrush, I'll probably mix up and paint the boxcar I primed yesterday.  And I'll continue filling between the tracks on the staging yard.  Maybe then I'll think about adding some scenery textures...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

Morning, all.

Thanks for the tip on the wood load, Dave.  Glad to hear Dan is making progress.  I have to go cut some tree branches that hang too low and hit me when I'm mowing.  At least it's not a heat index over 100 today, like the last few days.

Jeff

Keep It Rusty

Dave, I agree on Stynylrez primers. My top choice, every time (although I typically reserve them for finer details β€” castings, Preisers etc)

ReadingBob

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on August 29, 2021, 09:31:23 AM
Morning ramblers!

Bob β€” you'll be pleased with Vallejo. Excellent brand with great coverage. White is a hard color to paint smooth. The airbrush helps. Yellow is actually a great primer color for a base coat in white.

Thanks Craig.  I got it to work after some initial fussing with the viscosity of the paint.  I had already primed everything with Floquil Earth (I still have a little bit of that left) and the white went over it pretty well.  I'll have to keep an eye out for that Badger "Stupid Name" stuff Dave mentioned.  ;D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

deemery

I was introduced to Badger DumbName at Springfield a couple of years ago.  Badger had a booth and they had a show special for a set of those primers. 

Speaking of which, I -hope- there'll be a Springfield show early next year!

As a famous artist once said, "Happy little accidents..."  Yesterday I primed this with Vallejo Red-Brown primer (which is actually a German WWII Panzer color - and a good dark boxcar red in its own right.)  Then I sprayed it with Vallejo Amarantha Red with some white mixed in (my "standard" PRR 1890s color - much debate on that topic in the PRR modeling community!). The paint was too thin and didn't quite cover, but the result looked like nicely weathered paint.  I drybrushed some rail brown, particularly at the bottom of the car where the paint puddled.  The paint didn't stick at all to the roofwalk, so I scraped it off to get a scuffed look.  I'll let this cure for a while, do some Future (whatever-they-call-it-this-year) and then decals.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PaulS

Dave,
The 'Happy Little Accident' on your boxcar looks terrific !!
Looks like the paint has weathered and worn appropriately from the elements.  Well done and please share the final results with us when you have the car further along and finished.
Much appreciated and thanks for sharing,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Jerry

Afternoon everyone

Sun finally came out in Jersey after 4 days.

Everyone have a great day ! :)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln