#140 FSM Sawmill for Lady Lake Depot Museum

Started by Jim Donovan, September 05, 2021, 09:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 05, 2021, 12:34:33 PM
Jim,

Nicely done on the museum diorama. Good to see the museum is still going.

Tom  ;D

Thanks Tom;

The little deport museum is doing well. It is open two days a week and gets steady traffic I am told. I know it is open a same time there is a open market next door so that helps.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Oldguy on September 06, 2021, 10:11:53 AM
Very, very well done.

Bob. I truly appreciate you checking in and the compliment. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: Jim Donovan on September 06, 2021, 11:24:26 PM
Quote from: Keep it Rusty on September 05, 2021, 11:05:39 AM
Lovely stuff here, Jim.

Although, see to that twisted belt before the foreman gets wind of it! ;)
Ah the infamous twisted belt. I know you are just kidding but a lot of research actually went into the pulley system because, like you, I did not see how belts could be twisted 90 degrees in a manner where they would actually track. I found a YouTube video showing how it is done so attempted to add the necessary pulleys, belts and drive train to make it happen. Frankly I think I missed something and not being an engineer I decided 'close enough' (a government term).would have to do. Still, I like that you noticed. The belt slipping off in photo was fixed.

It was that slipping twisted belt I was referring to. You are right though, half twists and 90-degree twists in belts were commonly used to either a) reverse the direction from central drive shaft to machine or b) for clearance purposes. Later on, when electric overtook steam, many machines (especially larger ones that required variable speeds and power) often had their own dedicated motors separate from the central line shaft.

Loved seeing this shop — especially in HO. Thanks, Jim.

S&S RR

Jim

Very nice build. Thank you for sharing it with us.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

cuse

Beautiful work Jim...I'm curious about the Museum - I would love to see more info or pics about the layout if you get a chance.

John

Jim Donovan

Quote from: S&S RR on September 08, 2021, 09:32:19 AM
Jim

Very nice build. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you John, hope to  get it on the layout this week.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: cuse on September 09, 2021, 06:24:58 AM
Beautiful work Jim...I'm curious about the Museum - I would love to see more info or pics about the layout if you get a chance.

John

Thank you John. I hope to place it on the layout tomorrow so will get some photos to share.

Jim D