What kinds of kits do we need?

Started by deemery, September 09, 2021, 01:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

I was thinking about this today, looking at the various recent kit announcements as well as recent builds.

Seems to me we still have a deficit of masonry (brick or concrete block) urban buildings.  That includes storefronts/city block buildings, small independent (standing alone) buildings, and factories (now that Bob Van Gelder has retired.)    My #1 choice would be a mansard roof 2-3 store wide brick block building (with cast iron storefronts.)  But that's in part because of my modeling era.

What would others like to see?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jerry

I guess out of the 55 people who read this Dave.  Everyone is happy with the kits they keep coming out with!!  :(

When was the last time you saw a Blacksmith Shop a new one??

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Keep It Rusty

Doug (FOS Scale) has Ed Fulasz's line, which are almost all masonry structures. He is repurposing each of them into new kits (see Hendrix Type Foundry or Wiley Waterproofing). He casts them in Hydrocal. Also, Brett at SierraWest makes exemplary resin cast walls -- see the Brass & Iron Foundry.

Still, I'd like to see some more masonry structures out there though, it's just a lot to produce them!

Quote from: Jerry on September 10, 2021, 05:51:21 PM
When was the last time you saw a Blacksmith Shop a new one??

Funny you should mention that... ;)

Dennis Bourey

Craig, Do you think Doug will ever sell them again? Never see any of them on his website.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

tct855

D~,
          I think we need more brass kits! ;D
                                                          Thanx Thom...

EricQuebec

Quote from: deemery on September 09, 2021, 01:11:02 PM
I was thinking about this today, looking at the various recent kit announcements as well as recent builds.

Seems to me we still have a deficit of masonry (brick or concrete block) urban buildings.  That includes storefronts/city block buildings, small independent (standing alone) buildings, and factories (now that Bob Van Gelder has retired.)    My #1 choice would be a mansard roof 2-3 store wide brick block building (with cast iron storefronts.)  But that's in part because of my modeling era.

What would others like to see?

dave
Totally agree with you Dave
Eric

S&S RR

When was the last time you saw a masonry depot? I recently bought the C.C. Crow GN depot (he made one special for me) - I think it was his first kit back when we were both much younger. Take a look at the F&SM photographs and how many masonry depots George has on his layout.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on September 10, 2021, 06:20:34 PM
Craig, Do you think Doug will ever sell them again? Never see any of them on his website.

He's re-released four of them so far. Still more to come, for sure.

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Hendrix Foundry, Wiley Waterproofing, Jensen Tower and Yard Office 3.

They were all Ed Fulasz kits (in some form)

Dennis Bourey

Oh ok. I thought he brought back the fire dept, corner store or the tenement? my mistake.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Not those, yet.

I'd love to see the Tenement Building!

Bernd

Quote from: tct855 on September 10, 2021, 07:16:28 PM
D~,
          I think we need more brass kits! ;D
                                                          Thanx Thom...

Now there's an opinion I can agree with. I definitely would like to see brass engine kits.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

ReadingBob

Interesting topic.  I don't really have anything I can contribute though.  I've reached the point of total kit saturation and have more than I'll probably ever build/use as is.   :o
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Any well made kit representing wood framing, brick, block, stone or steel structures with great detail castings.....we must strive for inclusion of all and not discriminate in favor of any one type of kit over another.  ;D ;D ;D  (read buy, buy, buy so we keep the kit manufacturers solvent and happy!)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL