Railroad Kits Westboro Sandhouse

Started by madharry, October 03, 2021, 01:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

Thanks Mark, Lynn and Curt for following along.
Mike

madharry

Quote from: BandOGuy on October 07, 2021, 11:36:47 AM
Mike,
Thanks for the "just in time" bricks and mortar tip!
I think the chimney came out well. Many folk paint the brick and then add the mortar colour after. I think this is a better way.
Mike

madharry

Continuing..............four of the walls require outside bracing. The instructions call for 60 braces of 8x3's. However there was only enough material to cut 42!I checked my stash of wood and the nearest I had were 8x2's. I cut an extra 18 and in the scheme of things it is hard to tell the difference. Except I
owned up! Oops........
Mike

deemery

I've found "mortar first, bricks later" works best when the brick (or stones) are reasonably well incised.  When the edges of the bricks are rounded, it's harder to keep the brick color out of the mortar lines.  I like using acrylics for the bricks, and gouache (opaque watercolors) for mortar lines.  That's in part so I can easily wipe off any accidental spills/bleed over with a slightly damp towel.  But since watercolors can be washed off even when they're dry, you have to seal the result when you're happy, or else run the risk of having the mortar colors wash off.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Lynnb

Looking good, I hate when I run short on lumber, puts me at a standstill.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

postalkarl

Hey Mike:

the walls look just great.

Karl

madharry

Thanks Lynn and Karl.
With the walls completed it is time to start erecting them...................
Mike

Opa George

I like the colors you have used for the walls. Nice shade of green on the windows and trim. 

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

deemery

Unfortunately, the prototype was just torn down last week  >:( :(   I remember taking a long, hard look at that kit, particularly when it was on sale, but just couldn't fit it into my engine terminal.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

madharry

This little kit is quite time consuming. I have managed to add the roofs, sand hatches and the tower...........
Mike

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

Bob Dye