Builders in Scale Weiry & Sons Drilling

Started by SteveCuster, November 18, 2021, 09:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom.boyd.125

Steve,
Will follow along.
Your builds are always top notch with great photos and the coloring is well done.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

SteveCuster

Thanks Everyone!

I made a bit more progress on the main structure over the last couple days.

I added all the shingles. I substituted the Campbell's that came with the kit for these from Bar Mills.

I added the trusses under the overhang.

I used chalks to weather the shingles.

Next step was adding the doors. These are made with scribed siding and a few pieces of scale lumber.

Back door..

Gluing the truss supports in place. This was pretty tedious and difficult to get straight. At first they were too tall so I took a little off, then they were too short so I used this business card to bring them to the right height while they dried.

Both in place. I did break the rear one off after taking this picture.

The cast finial post caps.

Front sign is added and I added the metal track for the door. It was made with 2 pieces of scale 2x6 glued to make a "L" then I sprayed them black and weathered with chalks.

Everything started to get too fragile so I thought it was a good time to glue the building down. I added a few simple details right inside the front door to give the illusion of a detailed interior.

After knocking the rear support off a few times I decided to remove it all together until I could get the rest of the porch and stairs completed.

That's all for now. Next step will be adding the stairs, railings and re-gluing that rear support for the last time hopefully.

Thanks for following along.

Steve Custer

Opa George

Wow, fantastic detail work. You're really bringing it all together here.  Looking good.
--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

Mark Dalrymple

This is looking great, Steve.

There are some really nice details in this kit - the open trusses, the beams made out of two pieces of 10x3"? with blocking between and metal plates and through bolts - lovely!  I'm very impressed.

Cheers, Mark.

richbeau

Nice rendition of a classic. Great work .
-- Rich

SteveCuster

Thanks George, Mark and Rich!

Mark you're right this kit has some really nice details especially in this side staircase area. I ended up turning the whole scene so this area is facing the front of the layout.
Steve Custer

SteveCuster

Yesterday I added all the railings and staircase to the main structure. It was probably the most tedious part of the whole kit.

The kit calls for a little corrugated metal shed for under the landing but I haven't built it yet.

The staircase is a one piece casting.

The main building is done for now. Next step is starting on the other building in the diorama.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

Opa George

Nice work in matching the color of the cast staircase with the weathered wood.  That is always a challenge for me.
--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

PRR Modeler

It lookscgreat Steve. I totally agree about stairs being tedious.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

Lookin' good, Steve.  Nice work on the roof.  Siding as well.

Jeff

cuse

Beautiful. I love those "double posts"...small detail, but so much more interesting and unique than the norm. Great finish all over.

John

NKP768

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

George, The way I usually color them to match is first a priming of khaki spray paint, then a wash of A&I followed by a wash of Rembrandt chalks mixed with alcohol (In this case is was Rembrandt 408.3, my favorite color). After the alcohol/chalk wash dries I go over it with a dry brush to blend it together. Works pretty well for me and it's super easy.
Steve Custer

Jerry

Steve

First just love the way those shingles came out!!

Second just the overall paint on the building and trim top notch.
And the addition stairs, posts great detail and deck just shows your patience.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks Jerry! I have to admit my patience was tested a bit on the supports. I had to walk away after the second or third time knocking them off.
Steve Custer