Builders in Scale Weiry & Sons Drilling

Started by SteveCuster, November 18, 2021, 09:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

You aced that kit, Steve. Nice job!
This is one of those kits I've seen on Ebay and might even remember when it was new, but BIS didn't really show it off to it's potential.  I had no interest in it.  But seeing the beautiful job you did, which shows it to it's full potential, now makes me want to build it.  But I have no room for another kit of that size, so I'll content myself with looking back at  your work.

Thanks for sharing!
--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

George, I think most of the BIS kits didn't really get properly displayed in advertisements. They always seemed similar to Campbell's when in reality I think they are closer to FSM in quality and design. The FSM ad photos are always taken at a good angle that really makes the structure look big and interesting. BIS ads that I've seen are small, black and white and taken from a birds eye view. They really are great kits that are mostly overlooked. Master Creations has to opposite problem, terrible kits that look really great in the ads.
Steve Custer

Opa George

Quote from: SteveCuster on December 12, 2021, 09:16:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

George, I think most of the BIS kits didn't really get properly displayed in advertisements. They always seemed similar to Campbell's when in reality I think they are closer to FSM in quality and design. The FSM ad photos are always taken at a good angle that really makes the structure look big and interesting. BIS ads that I've seen are small, black and white and taken from a birds eye view. They really are great kits that are mostly overlooked. Master Creations has to opposite problem, terrible kits that look really great in the ads.

Steve,
Agreed!  Builders In Scale turned out some of the most detailed kits with the most comprehensive instructions I have ever built.  Simply a joy to work with.  Although I did build one Master Creations kit, The Watt Moreland Waxworks, and although the instructions had some gaps and areas that really challenged me, it turned out as one of my most awesome kits that draws the most visitor comments.  So personally, I don't think their kits were terrible, per se.   I think anyone attempting a Master Creations kit has to go in with the mindset of solving a puzzle, and if you succeed, it give great rewards.   

That being said, solving multiple puzzles to build a quite expensive kit is not exactly a great business model!  ;)

--Opa George

George Nagle
Harrisburg, PA

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Beautiful job as usual. great colors on the structures. 

Karl

SteveCuster

Thanks Karl!

George, I agree with the puzzle description of their kits. I built Minerva Casket a while ago and it was the most challenging kit I've built. You are right about them giving you something unique if you can get through it.

I added a light pole and 2 trucks before calling this scene ready for the layout.

Both trucks are from Wheel Works.

Here it is glued down.

This scene was the missing piece to completing the rear portion of my layout. I started laying out the landforms for the area surrounding this, check my layout thread for more details.
http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=2968.0

Thanks for following along and thanks for all the feedback along the way.
Steve Custer

postalkarl

ACL1504

Steve,

Extremely well done and it looks very natural in the setting.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Very nice, and those trucks, by the way, look fantastic, too.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Harrisburg, PA

PRR Modeler

It looks awesome Steve. Did you use natural dirt or a purchased product?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

George, vehicles are something I always struggle with so I appreciate that, not the assembly but the finish.

Tom, the dirt is just PA soil baked, ran through a coffee grinder and sifted.
Steve Custer

sdrees

This is a great looking addition to your layout Steve.  I also have this kit that I want to add to my layout.
Steve Drees
SP RR

SteveCuster

Thanks Steve! Look forward to see what you do with it.
Steve Custer

Jerry

Steve I bet your coffee tastes a little dusty after a good grind of dirt!!  :)

The setting perfect!  You've really know how to make a scene come to life.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln