Blair Line Background Warehouse

Started by Dave K., December 21, 2013, 07:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave K.

Well under way...

nvrr49

I never noticed this kit before.  I will be following along.

Dave K.

Not a big fan of the wood windows used by Blair Line and AMB, but wanted this to be a quick build so no Tichy order for this one. Also like AMB, instead of 1/16 corner trim they use tab-and-slot construction and then have you apply these thin veneers to represent trim. Gonna cut off the tabs and use real corner trim as in FOS, FSM, etc.  Probably scratch build the dock, too, as the supports underneath tend to look overscale. Thinking of calling it "Gower Bolt & Screw" in honor of the season (Mr. Gower the druggist from It's a Wonderful Life). Not much to get done today as we have extended family Christmas gathering but I got my 60 in already so I'm covered. Keep ya posted.

jerryrbeach

Dave,
Interesting structure.  I, too, dislike tab and slot construction because it makes changes much more complicated.  I'll be following along to see how you deal with those annoying tabs and slots.
Jerry

ReadingBob

Quote from: nvrr49 on December 21, 2013, 11:14:31 PM
I never noticed this kit before.  I will be following along.

Ditto that.  That's a pretty neat background structure.  Thanks for sharing.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ak-milw

I don't mind the tab construction on the roof lines but I also like a solid corner.

8)

Dave K.

Coming along.  You can see on the sides and on the bump-out I cut off the tabs and added the 1/16 square stripwood to avoid using the stick-on veneer. Named after my father-in-law, Lyle Fleener, of the Rock River Valley Division (Rockford, IL) of the NMRA, whom we lost in his early 50s to brain cancer. Was hoping to have this done for today's open house but ain't happening. Back at it.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

rustyfawcett