Justice City Dioramish

Started by MartyO, December 10, 2023, 10:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyO

My vacation this years was a few nights in New England, in particular Bass Rocks, Gloucester. Whale watching was on the agenda and taking pictures of the docks to refresh my memory on how they look weathers and in the water.

The lower part of the piers had mussels (or something that looked like them) on the lower water edge of the piers. Then the upper part of piers were a "Creosote" look. with a moss green transiting between the two regions.

I used IPA and Olive and Must Green chalks to colour the lower parts that were in the water during tidal periods. The regions mostly out of the water got a base stain of India ink. Then watered down hobby black paint was put at the water level and higher. Then I came back with a light brown dye stain to give it the Creosote look.

The back wall was treated the same way.

A few details were added to set the mood for the 10% remaining to be done later.

I hope you like it, I do.

Until next time when I get back to the Dune Buggy.

Marty

MartyO

Hmm,

Opps!

New Plan is needed.
Marty

MartyO

I slept on it, or didn't sleep on it, but about it.

The most obvious thing missing from this Run About was the underbody frame and floor. I should have seen it from the beginning, but I was blinded by it.

I made a paper cutout of the underbody, traced it on a .5mm sheet of aluminium and sawed it out. The piece was cut larger to allow me to bend it and file it in place. This was a simple task, that ended up taking a lot of time.

With the bends on the ends, sloping the foot wells and firewall was hindered by the inferior toy casting. I ended up filing the underside of the toy to fit the radius of the bend in the aluminium.

I trip to HomeDepot to get some JB Weld (the steel stuff) to slather on the underbody and the two broken pieces of the car. I tried to fill in any gaps and corroded sections and will file them into the final shape. I may have to do more body work on them to get it looking right.

My plans now include crafting the interior seat, dash, etc. I think I will be using Modelling Clay, because I have some, rather than the JB Weld solid stick stuff.

Thats all for now.
Marty

deemery

Marty, good progress on an interesting project!  Are you going to use air-dry clay, or just conventional clay and not worry about it "curing"?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

MartyO

Dave,

I intend to us Sculpey, which is oven cured.

I do expect to get some shrinking and hope to minimize it.
Marty