1700 N Wolfe St. A Baltimore Corner Store in HO Scale

Started by restocarp, April 16, 2024, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep It Rusty

That storefront really is a work of art, Matt. 

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

darrylhuffman

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

Jerry

That is just so excellent!  And in HO makes it even more impressive!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

restocarp

I have completed this diorama. Here is a photo dump. I will circle back with some details.

Matt

Vietnam Seabee

There is so much to take in here....simply amazing. Rot and deterioration is a favorite theme for me and there's not only an abundance of it here but it's done realistically
Well done, matt
Terry

deemery

Incredibly well done!  What a contrast between the two sides of the building!  I like the trellis in the back yard with the vines, nice additional detail.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

restocarp

Thanks, all.

I couple of quick descriptions:

I had used adhesive backed nail art for some frieze detail on the turret, but I didn't like the look. I struggled for a bit trying to figure out how to add some detail that worked in scale. I kept coming back to embossing. I looked at some leather stamps, but I couldn't find what I wanted, so I made an embossing tool out of brass. I used a combination of a Dremel, files and punches to create a swag-ish design in the brass. I then used that stamp and some nail sets to stamp the reverse side of a strip of styrene, This gave me the raised swag detail that I was looking for. It is a little janky and won't stand up to a magnifier, but it gives the correct "impression." ;)

I did detail the interior of the second floor. The holes in the roofs allow just enough light in to show some of it off. It is not highly visible, however, so I didn't need to be super detailed. Peeling wall paper, broken lath, piles of plaster (baking soda) and some old furniture. Also some scratchbuilt radiator-looking things.

I wanted to make the neighbor's house a dramatic contrast to the condition of the corner, so I used only a slight amount of weathering and added a copious amount of plantings, both in the yard and in window boxes and planters.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Matt