Wednesday April 24,2024 Are we at the end of the road?

Started by Jim Donovan, May 21, 2024, 09:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

Folks thanks for the input, more than I expected. The Forum is not closing, nor was I considering that, just looking for ways to make it more useful, the historical files alone are worth keeping it open and available to all. So long as Craig can do his magic I have no issue supporting it. We do not have a commercial aspect to our site so we do not need to clutter it with ads and such, though I have let Craig know we'd love to see his stuff on the site if he so chooses. We are down to the core of people that appreciate the efforts of others sharing knowledge so we will simply build on the quality we have and won't worry about the quantity, we will leave that to Facebook.

I am planning on having a build contest this coming fall that will include a prize for the structure that wins by popular vote. I need to work out the details but should have something for everyone by October. Any ideas for it would be appreciated, just drop me a line.

The Forum has a lot of build technique knowledge already stored, however, as each of us comes across something new and interesting drop a line if you can. Moreover show us your layout as it grows, there are a lot of amazing artists in this hobby who keep their art in the basement or garage. Let the rest of us admire it if you can. You've done the hard work now show it off.

Thanks again, oh and by the way it is sunny and hot here today.

Jim
Holland & Odessa Railroad

ReadingBob

Afternoon all,

While I check into the forum quite frequently, I don't always reply.  One of the main reasons for that is I'm now checking in more frequently on a tablet rather than my PC.  Posting a reply is a bit more tedious using the keypad on the tablet.  Given I'm no longer working, and suffering through boring meetings, I don't find myself sitting in front of the PC very often.

As far as 'lost posts' are concerned I've had that happen to me once or twice but what I think happened is I ignored the message that someone else has posted a reply while I was typing mine.

I'll continue to add build threads even though most of what I post is a repeat of prior build threads.  Some new information may crop up here and there.  Like correcting an issue with a kit design, e.g. the Gorman Sign Company had a 'slot' cut in the wrong place in one of the walls, that may help someone else who's tackling the same kit.

Back to the workbench on this toasty day in Central Florida.

Have a great one!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Janbouli

i look in every day , do I post every day , no not really . A: because at the moment ( and quite a while now ) I just can't get myself to do anything so I have nothing to post. B: while I love build threads and cherish all the work put into the layout and build  threads, I see no worth in responding to every post with a "great ""super "etc. post from me although I do realize it is appreciated by the poster.

I do see the same thing with Nscale.net , thousands of members but only a group of 40-50 that post on a regular basis and it's only getting less .

I do enjoy every post made here and I hope everyone stays here , I've found this to be quite a nice place.
I love photo's, don't we all.

SteveCuster

I haven't been updating my layout thread as much as I could or posting on the forum very much, I'll make an effort to change that. Generally, I don't really post unless I think what I've done is interesting, but it maybe people will find the minor changes more interesting than I think.

It's not just this forum, all the forums I normally read aren't particularly active lately. I think Facebook has something to do with it, I don't like it for modeling stuff, but I understand the appeal.

It may still take some time for some of the former regulars to come back to this forum.
Steve Custer

jerryrbeach

Gentlemen,

My absence from here is more seasonal.  I sold my cows three years ago, thinking it would free up more modeling time.  Then I allowed a neighbor to use my barn, fields, and machinery.  That did not work out as I had hoped, as he seemed to need my help with everything from doctoring his cows to building fence, to repairing the machinery.  I ended the relationship with him, and recently a different farmer approached me about cropping my fields.  Unfortunately, it seems that did not work out as well, as he has done absolutely nothing.  I have been on a tractor almost daily for the past three weeks or more, something that looks to occupy most of my summer.  

I was trying to at least sign in in the mornings before going outside, but it has been easier to just head out the back door than to boot up the computer just to say, "Morning all..."  I do plan to re-engage with everyone here later this year.

One of the biggest issues has been the loss of material over time.  I find it difficult to be motivated to post material given the time it takes to shoot the photos and proof the text, when past experience has proven it will not stand the test of time. That seems to me to be the biggest reason for the lack of material being posted, the declining membership, etc.  Also, don't discount the number of forums dedicated to specific areas, for example the Sierra West Forum.

That's my two cents, and most likely worth less.  See everyone in the fall.

Jerry